Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fresh blood in dung

Options
  • 05-05-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

heres a puzzler for ye lads. have a batch of weanlings 6-8 months old all weaned and on a high level of meal approx 4kg per head also have access to silage ad lib and clean straw. they are on this level of meal for d last 3 weeks or so and have been building up intake this past 3-4 months. recently 2 or 3 of the bulls have showed traces of fresh blood in they're dung one turned a bit scoury with it, u could actually c traces of blood that run down his behind. got vet and he was put on antibiotics and stomach powders but could'nt tell us what caused it. while examining d dung noticed bits of undigested meal through it was wondering if this could have anything to do with it? wud appreciate any feed back thanks:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Cocidiosis is what comes to my mind. I think older animals 6-8 months can get it. Vecoxin is the only anwser for it if it is it. Did the vet not mention it as a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

sorry should have said we treated them for that gave 100ml 2 days in a row(expensive stuff) vet did,nt think it was that he took dung sample but was on about the damage being in the last couple of inchs of d rectum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

does the meal contain badly rolled grain?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

rolled barley but very wel rolled ....made sure of it. its not full grains in d dung

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Pacoa wrote: »
    Cocidiosis is what comes to my mind. I think older animals 6-8 months can get it. Vecoxin is the only anwser for it if it is it. Did the vet not mention it as a possibility?

With Pacoa on this one, until proven otherwise.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
Advertisement