Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clevage in Dublin

Options
  • 05-05-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am male living in Dublin and have slight obsession with women clevage. I walk to and from work and notice lots of women each day. I dont stare but happened to notice any of them showing clevage, even the ones cycling passed. If i see something i like i might say something stupid in my head like 'that's just brillant' or 'happy day' or ' she should have a licence for those'.

Do women mind male's looking at their clevage? Do they feel offended I wonder?

I seem the crips add on one of the billboard's and taugh it was a bit to revealing.

In a sense I seem to have more respect/awe of women i see out displaying clevage, If you have it flaunt it. Some times i like to say well done.

I am an genuine male and Find women in general beautiful.

Am i only male in Dublin with such a clevage obsession? I would not stare but i would probably look for that extra second too much

Finally I see random women on bus/street and I would like to say to some of them how beautiful they are, like their clothes etc but not in a weirdo way but also if a random man you never met before told you how beautifull you were and them continue on his job- would that freak you out?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'd say as long as you aren't staring or gawking in a way that would make someone uncomfortable, I would say it's totally fine and normal.

I would say you're far from the only one, I don't know a single male that doesn't notice cleavage... and I know plenty of females that notice too, it's just extremely eyecatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Im the same although to be honest I find it kind of torturous. I mean its great to see but its like a poor starving kid gazing through a sweet shop window!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

I would absolutely LOVE some respectful, discrete attention shown to my cleavage. But that's probably because there is not much to it (if you know what I mean), to be perfectly honest ! :D

As long as it is not blatant gawking, I don't see why it should be problematic. Go on appreciating the female form, just make sure to keep the "whoah" and even any "nicer" comments to yourself...

I don't think it is the best idea to approach random women with comments on their physical appearance, no matter how pleasing. It strikes me as a bit "off".

Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 showgirl

hi op - you would love my clevage so - Im an F - pretty big - but i dont go around flaunting them and i think that hunky dory add is terrible - i nearly crashed my car looking at it last week! not necessary!

as long as you are not staring too long to make yourself look like a pervert then i dont think you are doing anything wrong! its the same as appreciating nature :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

Ah nothing wrong with it to be honest as long as you dont stare for ages!! But in fairness, and this is a girl saying this, if a girl is wearing a low cut top with clevage showing how do they expect men to react!! Its how they want you to react.
    As for talking to girls on the bus etc if you have the guts to do it why not. Jus be really sweet about it, my boyfriends cousin meet his girlfriend at a train station!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's always a lovely thing to know that a guy is checking you out in a nice way (ie keep the sleazy comments to yourself)....i'm a girl and I check out other women all the time, even though I'm straight. The female body is a beautiful thing, and as long as that's your attitude, and it is, then the respect is there and there's no problem at all with it...in fact, a nice comment now and again would make my day....women in general are incredibly hung up on their bodies, it would do wonders for their confidence if more men could pay a nice compliment out of the blue or even let them know subtely that you admire their bodies.

oh and it's a lot more commen in other latin cultures to be more open about checkign women out and having lived there, it's not such a bad thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

get yourself a decent pair of sunglasses, and everyones a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

irish fun wrote: »

Yes, and Yes.
    if a random man you never met before told you how beautifull you were and them continue on his job- would that freak you out?

I'd tell him to fcukoff perving and keep his eyes off my tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yes, and Yes.

I'd tell him to fcukoff perving and keep his eyes off my tits.

if a guy called you beautifull you would tell him to f*ck off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

As long as the man looks at my face first and only has a quick glance at my breasts subtly then I've no problem. It's only natural. I live in Madrid and I've had to move carriages on the metro because men stood there literally GLARING at me and sometimes glaring at my breasts and ONLY my breasts with not a hint of shame. It's the last thing you want commuting to work when you're not in "feeling sexy" mode as supposed to "just going to work" mode. It's uncomfortable and you automatically presume the guy is a bit of a sad perv.

Telling a random girl she's beautiful...okay as long as you've a bit of sense of humour about you and you can pull of the charming rogue thing...it's not the worst thing in the world to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Yes, and Yes.

Don't wear low cut tops so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I fail to see how this is a personal issue.

I reckon it should be moved to the ladies lounge ...
    Or nature and bird watching :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

TitoPuente wrote: »

It can happen without a female wearing a low cut top. It's unfair to assume it's instantly their fault somehow.
    tenchi-fan wrote: »
    I fail to see how this is a personal issue.

I reckon it should be moved to the ladies lounge ...
    Or nature and bird watching :)

The OP is unregistered, therefore wants to remain anonymous. Just because some people may not consider something a personal issue, does not mean that the OP doesn't either.

If you have an issue with a thread / post please use the report post function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Yes, she should of course wear a burqa so that poor men like the OP don't have to stare at her cleavage. :rolleyes:

OP yes I would be offended if some guy couldn't keep his eyes off my rack - I have a face and a personality too ya know!

Kimia wrote: »
    Yes, she should of course wear a burqa so that poor men like the OP don't have to stare at her cleavage. :rolleyes:

If I was walking around with my knob hanging out, I couldn't really blame women for staring now, could I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

If I was walking around with my knob hanging out, I couldn't really blame women for staring now, could I?

What a stupid thing to say. So you think your 'knob' hanging out is the same thing as a woman wearing a low cut top? Wow. :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing to say. So you think your 'knob' hanging out is the same thing as a woman wearing a low cut top? Wow. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: My point is that breasts are seen as sexual parts of the anatomy by men. Women know this. If they walk around with most of their breasts hanging out, then some men are going to stare at them. That's life. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it always will be. No amount of disapproval or eye rolling smilies are going to change that unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ban Gardai might stare but for all the wrong reasons .

Having an obious hard on bulge in your trousers for anybody to see is acceptable .

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

kimia, even though that might seem stupid to you, it's not a million miles away from the truth. women and men always seem to have trouble viewing things from each others perspective.

men are NATURALLY more drawn towards features like breasts or cleavage. its not a choice, it's like a bloody magnet drawing you in. i find it nearly impossible to resist even if i don't find the girl herself attractive. i do try to be courteous and i definitely wouldn't try to make a girl uncomfortable. but if you were a bloke kimia, you'd know what i mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

:rolleyes: My point is that breasts are seen as sexual parts of the anatomy by men. Women know this. If they walk around with most of their breasts hanging out, then some men are going to stare at them. That's life. That's the way it's always been and that's the way it always will be. No amount of disapproval or eye rolling smilies are going to change that unfortunately.

I think if you had said shirtless men in warm weather, then your point would have been a fair one. I'd see that as the male equivalent of cleavage. Genitals are just not as nice to see in daily life :D

But seriously, I've seen many a girl happily checking out lads in the park or wherever when they have their shirts off in one our very few sunny spells. Girls check out lads just as much as guys check out girls.

But I would say to the OP, it varies from girl-to-girl as to how they react to getting checked out. I think most object to prolonged leering, but most won't mind the odd appreciative glance. And of course there will be girls who don't want to be checked out at all. I think that is unrealistic, especially if they are in a low-cut or tight top, but after all it is their body. I freely admit to enjoying cleavage on a daily basis but I hope that I look at faces just enough to stay in the girls good books :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This is surely a double edged sword for women, obviously a woman's breasts are a big part of her femininity and if they look good she'll probably feel good, but most girls dont want guys gawping at them all day long either. Theres not much you can do ladies, we're gonna look, its in our DNA. Most men have mastered the art of subtle looking at bewbs, some arent so discreet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

head like 'that's just brillant' or 'happy day' or ' she should have a licence for those'.
    First of all leave those lines in your head.
    I always found it more than contradictory that women wear push up bras, low cut tops etc.. and then think "how rude" when men look at them.. ??? But the standard etiquette is that you should not look at the cleavage, especially when talking to the woman.
    if a random man you never met before told you how beautifull you were and them continue on his job- would that freak you out?
    I was working for a place years ago, and there was a spanish woman there... she was absolutely gorgeous, stunningly beautiful and yet shy and very modest at the same time... One particular day she came in wearing tights and boots and was looking very attractive. During the day, the lad delivering the A4, who was in his late 40s I would have thought.. took it upon himself to say to her "you are absolutely gorgeous", á la what you are suggesting... She (being shy) was embarrassed and he looked like a bit of an eeegit. I dont think it's a good idea. Leave that sort of stuff to Hugh Grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SGOLD73

get yourself a decent pair of sunglasses, and everyones a winner.

This advice FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Men stare regardless of whether you wear a low cut top or not, TitoPuente although yes, they do stare more if you are wearing one.

I like to check out men´s bums. There´s no problem as long as your subtle about it. Why pretend we´re not animals? We really aren´t above this no matter how much we think of ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I find that sort of staring creepy to be honest op.

And if some randomer came up to me and told me how beautiful I am, I would be alarmed tbh.

Life != romcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

It depends entirely on the situation. As long as you're not threatening in manner or approach, I can't see a problem with telling a woman she's beautiful. However, many guys totally fail to keep that in mind, or master the art of unthreatening advances.

If a woman is alone, isolated, walking home in the dark, has headphones in, is on the phone... inserting yourself into her little bubble of personal space and headspace can seem violating and threatening. That's not to say that every man who approaches a woman wants to hurt her -- but I think a lot of men forget that for a woman, personal safety is *always* a concern.

Walking up to a girl and telling her she's beautiful while staring at her boobs will *always* come across as creepy and pervy, no matter how charming you are. I agree that if women put them out there, they can't complain when they get looked at... but discretion and respect is absolutely essential. Look, by all means... but don't perv blatantly or make 'hilarious' jokes about having a licence for them. Appreciate, don't objectify. Instead of thinking "wow look at those tits", maybe try to cultivate an attitude of appreciation and respect for the woman as a whole - she's not only beautiful, but has the self-confidence to carry it off and show it off. A small change in attitude might make you feel less furtive, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

I don't have much cleavage to flaunt so no real opinions on that part.

But I've had a few men approach me to tell me they think I'm attractive, and although I know they're being nice and in theory it sounds like a sweet thing to do, personally it makes me feel very uncomfortable and would even want to get away from them.

Though in certain situations its fine, like if you've been talking for a while and mention something specific like nice eye colour. Thats fine.
    But a stranger saying 'you're beautiful' and walking away... creepy, to me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please keep the replies mature and helpful.

OP you just need to learn to gaze and not get caught and creep people out,
    there's an knack to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Jessica-Rabbit

I know guys always look at cleavage and but I find it very offensive when someone feels the need to comment on my breasts to my face.. I was at a pertrol station a few weeks ago and two guys who were staring at me for what seemed like a century yell out "did ya see de size of yer ones t*ts" needless to say I felt so humilated as everyone in the shop turned to stare at me .. no one needs to be that rude and inconsiderate

• Advertisement
Advertisement