Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sound on Laptop

Options
  • 05-05-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi all

(mods please feel free to move)

I basically have no sound whatsoever on my HP G60. I have used all the Microsoft FitIt tools as well as the HP Quick Buttons thingy but with no luck.

When I click my sound to go mute, it wont stay muted (as it appears on Windows Vista), but instead I have no sound at all.

I can see the music bar going up and down but nothing is coming out.

Any help would be very much appreciated

The Bin Man

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A few questions to help get a feel for the problem:

How long has the problem been happening?
    Did anything change just before the problem happened? (Eg new drivers, installing Windows updates)
    Does the problem manifest with speakers/headphones connected to the 3.5mm jack?
    What fixes have you attempted so far?

Other info that would be useful:

Did this laptop come with Vista installed when you got it?
    What version of Windows are you using?
    What type of soundcard is in the machine?

Things you can try:
    Right-click on Computer (either on Desktop or in Start Menu), select "Manage", then select Device Manager. Check for any hardware that isn't recognized or that is marked as having a problem (usually a yellow circle with an exclamation mark).
    Go to Control Panel and check your Sound properties (including going through the Speaker configuration). Check if your sound card's manufacturer has provided any other software related to your sound setup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stupid question , does it have a volume control dial at the front or sides
    I've known one Toshiba owner who didn't cop that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I can see the music bar going up and down but nothing is coming out.

Windows 7?

have you set the default playback device to something other than the speakers by any chance?
    When I click my sound to go mute, it wont stay muted (as it appears on Windows Vista), but instead I have no sound at all.
    this sentence makes no sense to me whatsoever!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

this sentence makes no sense to me whatsoever!
    I understood it as meaning that the sound behaviour differed from what Vista was reporting (ie that Vista's sound manager did not show the sound as being muted, but no sound came from the speakers when attempting playback).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

mmmmm.... OK i think i have it now :o

I would completely remove all traces of the sound card and drivers from the device manager. Then reinstall, manually pointing to newly downloaded drivers. But if it's a windows problem, I'm not sure how it could be easily and quickly fixed. Is there an easy way to only reinstall the sound subsystems in Windows?

• Advertisement
Advertisement