Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety isssues

Options
  • 05-05-2010 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

As a new user of boards.ie, I'm not quite sure where to start with my problem.
    I've recently been to the doctors for anxiety problems. The doctor prescribed me with medication for it but even after over a month of taking them I've felt no difference. Everyone I know (friends and family) think I've everything going for me which I know I do but I cant help but feel this way. Ive a job, a great boyfriend and friends. I'm just so upset and my moods are so low most of the time especially today(basically every day I'm off work or have nothing to do).
    My problems started last year in my final year at college when I failed a very important exam. I became severely depressed and was prescribed anti-depressants. My family didn't know this and still don't except for my mother. I recently had an outburst when I became for the first time ever upset and angry on front of her. I had just came home from the doctors and I was very upset with everything. I explained the way I felt when I went home. (I moved back home after college). I feel I can not show my true self at home, I'm a fun loving person but I feel I'm not half the person I can be when I'm at home.
    My boyfriend says I should move out straight away. I'll be moving out in a few months for a new job elsewhere so I'm sort of stuck in limbo. He also asked me to move in with him which I really want to do but I can't tell my parents or they will be very disappointed in me. They would want me to move after marriage. I'm 23 and I feel mature enough to know what I want.
    There are also issues with my sister which have stemmed from last year. She treated me terribly when I failed the exam I mentioned earlier. I still can't forgive for it but my mother wants me to forgive and forget. To be honest I never will and I really don't get on well with my other sister too. I feel like I've let down my parents even though against all odds I got a great degree and job and Ive never askedfor any money unless I really couldn't afford something that was a necessity. My other sisters will always be better than me.
    I've been going out with my boyfriend a year and a half and he is the best thing thats ever happened to me but I know my mother doesn't like him for some reason. I even know he wants to propose to me within the year and I'm so excited, I know she won't be happy for me. Last night my parents were talking about my sister's NEW boyfriend and how he seems great. I was so mad because my boyfriend would never be talked about in that way even though he would do anything for me no matter what.
    For whoever reads this I'm very sorry for the rambling and incoherent paragraphs, it just shows you how messed up my head is.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Whatever medication you are taking, it will mostly likely take longer than a month before you notice the good effects. on this issue, in fact, you should not 'sit around' waiting for it to take effect. Instead, just get into the habit of taking it at the prescribed times each day and just concentrate on other things. It took 1+ year for me to recognise how much Lexapro (an SSRI anti-depressant) was affecting me (in a positive way).

Also, it would be easier to go through your life being honest with everyone, including your parents. Lying just creates pressure in us, and over time this can grow progressively larger. Something tells me that you aren't exactly cool with moving in with your boyfriend anyway, irrespective of what your parents think.

What else... ...don't move out of your parents' house abruptly or for the wrong reasion. there is no rush at all and - frankly - your boyfriend has the wrong idea if he believes that you moving out will make you feel better (it most likely won't).

Tha'ts all I have to say on this.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

OP, it seems to me that you need to become independent as soon as possible. Your decisions should be about what you want - instead you are talking about what others think.

From reading your post it seems that the two big issues here are your self-confidence and your family, and they are closely intertwined.

My advice is to recognise that these are the problems.

You have taken a positive step by posting on here. Good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 MichMich

Personally, I think you should try some counselling...while medication is good to a point, talking things out, learning about yourself and how things have impacted you will help you get to the root of your anxiety which will really benefit you in the long run...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i would say to go back to your doctor, sometimes it takes a while to figure out the right drug/quatity to take, when you start a new drug you should go back after a month to check you're taking the right mix. Also I'd reccomend cognitive behavioural therapy, which your doctor refer you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mudbath142

As a fellow anxiety sufferer I know you have a lot of issues going on but one thing i would recommend for you is exercise - that might seem a bit flippant or off the wall but I find doing regular exercise is brilliant to boost endorphins in the body. Can't say it will solve all or indeed, any, of your problems, but it might help, especially if you keep it up. It doesn't have to be anything too streneous but take time out 3-5 times a week for yourself - go for walks, runs, gym (if you are into it) or get involved with a club.

not talking down antidepressents or anything as they have a place for people with serious illness who can't function but give the exercise a go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LiliAne

modsnip < Medical advice is against the forum charter and Boards.ie rules > modsnip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

<Modsnip>
    It is not the done thing on the PI or RI forums to ask an OP to pm/msn/skype/email you. This is done for two reasons:

To protect those from trolls and other possible unsavory people posting on the internet when they may be in a vulnerable state. Threads on PI/RI are monitored by the mods so that bad and dangerous advice is not permitted and deemed unhelpful.

To protect posters from trolls and unsavory people posting on the internet who pose as a person needing help and advice and so that posters do not end up locked in to a pm exchange with someone they can not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

LiliAne wrote: »
    modsnip < Medical advice is against the forum charter and Boards.ie rules > modsnip
    <Modsnip>

Banned for a week.

Advertisement