Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how much does mpg fade over time

Options
  • 05-05-2010 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

looking into getting a diesel.

only have a range of 4g's. i found a ford focus 1.8 tdci for 3900. and a 1.4 petrol opel astra for 2350. (i know its a bit shady but im counting it for the moment)

i really like the focus. the specs i got from parkers.com say its 50 mpg. while the astra gets 39.

i was wondering,. over the years how much does mpg fade, as the car starts to consume more. the astra is 2002 and the focus is early 2004.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Once you keep the car serviced - it shouldn't fade over time. Had a 2003 golf that did 50mpg on the motorway easy

As above, it shouldn't degrade if the car is serviced, I had a 12 year old diesel Rover that returned over 50mpg on a run. Also recently I had a 17 year old Merc diesel that did close to 40mpg mixed driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I've a 1997 Laguna 1.8 petrol with approx 200,000 miles on it and still get 41mpg. I service it with good quality oil every 5k miles. Servicing on time (or sooner) and with the right stuff is the best thing you can do for your engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Does the Type of Oil, say 10W40 vs 5W30 have a big difference on MPG?

Advertisement