Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone name this plant/tree

Options
  • 05-05-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I've two of them growing at the back of the house. They seem to grow v quickly.

Can anyone identify them from the leaves???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

its a elder tree...
    or a boultry treee(slang name)
    http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/sambucus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I have a lot of them growing wild around the place
    I dry the flowers and freeze the berries and use them for colds and flu in winter time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It's Elder alright. They grow very quickly, more of a weed in my opinion. They grow and smother the ditch (hedge) around it, leaving the area poor for fencing in cattle.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Thanks All, they seem to shoot up, I'd swear they're 2-3 ft in less than 12 mths. Keeping them pruned might be a way to control the growth.

Interesting to hear about the cold/flu remedy!! How does one mix the dried leaves and fruit???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

can make elderberry wine i think--google it
    me weary of it--its meant to be dangerous for animals+humans

i'd take roots and all out..its a tree version of a weed...good for nough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭glanman

Thanks All, they seem to shoot up, I'd swear they're 2-3 ft in less than 12 mths. Keeping them pruned might be a way to control the growth.

Interesting to hear about the cold/flu remedy!! How does one mix the dried leaves and fruit???

as others said, elder it is.

It will flower in the next few weeks (if old enough) and if these are left them will become berries.

Check out elderflower cordial recipes, very easy to make and takes only a few flower heads. refreshing different taste.

the berries later in the year can be used in tarts, pies, wines etc...

it has poor timber and is very poor busher but the fruit is useful to certain people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

You dont use the leaves just the flowers or the berries.
    I just boil them in water and add beachems or limsip and munuka honey
    Hit it with everything so to speak.

Advertisement