Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Drogheda Campaign

Options
  • 05-05-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭

Saw this on one of the free news papers (probably DI) over the week.
    GROUP BEGIN CAMPAIGN TO GAIN CITY STATUS FOR DROGHEDA. CIVIC-minded activists in Drogheda are beginning a campaign to have the town officially recognised as a city. If successful, the campaign would first have to persuade the Government to bestow city status on a town for the first time in the history of the State.

link to DI

There's more to that item on the paper, but the DI website is no longer free, so I can't copy any more.

Just wondering what is the general feeling about this idea? Also, what is the motivation to get City status? What are the benefits to being a city rather than a town? Surely it can't be just a vanity thing? And finally, what are the chances that something so radical (Irish government, since independence, has never granted a town a city status, ever) actually happening?

Some stats for the curious:

From this link: http://goireland.about.com/od/preparingyourtrip/qt/towns20large.htm

* Dublin City - 1,030,431 inhabitants
    * Belfast - 274,678 inhabitants
    * Cork City - 189,692 inhabitants
    * Limerick City - 91,119 inhabitants
    * Derry City - 85,126 inhabitants
    * Lisburn - 79,246 inhabitants
    * Galway City - 72,237 inhabitants
    * Newtownabbey - 64,412 inhabitants
    * Bangor - 60,957 inhabitants
    * Craigavon - 59,713 inhabitants
    * Castlereagh - 57,197 inhabitants
    * Waterford City - 48,278 inhabitants
    * Drogheda - 34,336 inhabitants
    * Dundalk - 33,730 inhabitants
    * Bray - 32,781 inhabitants
    * Swords - 30,742 inhabitants
    * Carrickfergus - 29,767 inhabitants
    * Ballymena - 29,020 inhabitants
    * Newry - 27,849 inhabitants
    * Newtownards - 27,799 inhabitants

Proper source for this type of information should be cso.ie and statcentral.ie, but their figures are 2006 Census, so not sure how valid they are now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

This is surely something that all people in Drogheda should support imo .It brings great advantages being a city rather a town in securing business and attracting tourism etc . The figures in that census are also misleading as lots of the houses in the east meath area with there adresses in Drogheda arent counted . This brings up all the usual issues of houses and business people living , working and going to school etc in Drogheda that pay rates to meath county council for some strange reason ! and there not counted in the Drogheda area in the census . The whole system needs a rethink , Drogheda being made a city and all these areas being brought in under the one roof makes a lot of sense ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

That's a good point alright. From Drogheda Chamber Of Commerce website: link
    Within a 30 mile radius of the Drogheda, there is a population of over 1.1 million, with a growing pool of skilled workers based here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭event

do you not need a university and a cathedral to get city status?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Misterpphead

Yea your right i think you nead certain things like a Theatre, catherdral, train station and stuff like that, as far as i know if you tick all the boxes theres no reason why not........i could only presume people that own property in the town will be going mad for it as it would push the price of there property up being in a city rather than a town.......altho these days you wouldnt be sure.

well drogheda will be some way off then, Dundalk would be much closer, seeing as they already have a cathedral and DKIT, which may become a Uni at some point

• Advertisement

I didn't know a cathedral and/or a university was a criteria for City status?

Going by the other most important measure - population. I read somewhere that there is an EU directive / guideline saying a city should have at least 50,000 residents. In 2006, Drogheda had approximately 35,000 residents. I don't know what it would be if you were to include people who live and work in Drogheda, but have addresses in Meath. I am sure Drogheda's population went up since 2006 - but I don't know if it went down a bit again in last few years or not. Anyway, by 2006 figures Drogheda has slightly more people than Dundalk - not sure if that's still the case - it probably is.

With that EU directive in mind, Limmerick could actually lose it's city status as their population is declining fast and they are just 52,000 or there about now.

But that then opens up the question why Waterford is a city when their population has been less than 50,000 for a long time.

Too many questions..! :)

Don't see the point to be honest.

Drogheda's not a city. It's a street of shops and a bunch of urbanised neighbourhoods. Any worthwhile stores are a significant distance away from each other.

If I go to Dublin I can access bucket loads of different stores, shopping centres, types of shops, serivces, etc. all usually within a few minutes walk of each other and, more importantly, there is an actual "city" vibe to the place. There are lots of people and lots of businesses.

Drogheda has West St. which is filled with lots of closed down and empty stores. It has two shopping centres, both of which also have far too many closed down stalls and stores.

Argos, DID, Harvey, Smyths, Woodies, Homebase, Lidl, etc. are all driving distances away from the "heart" of the town.

New York is a city. Dublin is a City. There are many great cities around the globe. Drogheda is not, and should not, be considered a city, no matter how many "Droghedians" believe it should be.

(Note; I am from Drogheda!)

Don't see the point to be honest.

Drogheda's not a city. It's a street of shops and a bunch of urbanised neighbourhoods. Any worthwhile stores are a significant distance away from each other.

If I go to Dublin I can access bucket loads of different stores, shopping centres, types of shops, serivces, etc. all usually within a few minutes walk of each other and, more importantly, there is an actual "city" vibe to the place. There are lots of people and lots of businesses.

Drogheda has West St. which is filled with lots of closed down and empty stores. It has two shopping centres, both of which also have far too many closed down stalls and stores.

Argos, DID, Harvey, Smyths, Woodies, Homebase, Lidl, etc. are all driving distances away from the "heart" of the town.

New York is a city. Dublin is a City. There are many great cities around the globe. Drogheda is not, and should not, be considered a city, no matter how many "Droghedians" believe it should be.

(Note; I am from Drogheda!)

Ok so according to your argument there is only one city in Ireland maybe 2 if you include Belfast ! Newry , waterford , kilkenny , galway , limerick etc are no different to Drogheda imo .They have developed nicer city centres over the years but alot of that has to do with them being a city in the first place . A campaign to make us a city would only be positive for Drogheda so i dont see the problem with it .

" well drogheda will be some way off then, Dundalk would be much closer, seeing as they already have a cathedral and DKIT, which may become a Uni at some point "

Im not gonna get into the drogheda v dundawk argument again so just let it go .This is about Drogheda becoming a city . Start a new thread about Dundawk if you like .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

positron wrote: »
    * Drogheda - 34,336 inhabitants
    * Dundalk - 33,730 inhabitants

Proper source for this type of information should be cso.ie and statcentral.ie, but their figures are 2006 Census, so not sure how valid they are now.
    If I recall correctly, the 2nd last census was the first in which Drogheda had a higher pop than Dundalk, and there was approx 500 of a difference, so I'd say those figures are from that one. In the last census, Dundalk passed out Drogheda again, with about 25 more people!
    Of course in the case of both towns and both censuses, there's a large hinterland that's not included, like Blackrock for example isn't included in the Dundalk figures.

" well drogheda will be some way off then, Dundalk would be much closer, seeing as they already have a cathedral and DKIT, which may become a Uni at some point "

Im not gonna get into the drogheda v dundawk argument again so just let it go .This is about Drogheda becoming a city . Start a new thread about Dundawk if you like .

im not trying to start an argument about either town :confused:

im just saying that if you need a Uni and a cathedral, Dundalk is closer in that respect. Neither should be a city imo, but best of luck with the campaign anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's trollish comments like your 'Dundawk' remark that start the arguments so leave it out.

Ok so according to your argument there is only one city in Ireland maybe 2 if you include Belfast ! Newry , waterford , kilkenny , galway , limerick etc are no different to Drogheda imo .They have developed nicer city centres over the years but alot of that has to do with them being a city in the first place . A campaign to make us a city would only be positive for Drogheda so i dont see the problem with it.

I don't see how it is a positive or a negative? Drogheda is Drogheda. Giving it a city status doesn't make the town any more vaulable, exciting, amazing or... well.. anything.

It's not like we only discovered the town a few months ago or something. It's been around for a long time. Long enough that it has had plenty of time to develop a nice inner city. It hasn't, though.

It doesn't matter if the town is officially classed as a travelling circus. It's not going to change anything in the town.

First off, he made a very valid point. I haven't been in Dundalk in a few years, but it is certainly seems has more of the prerequisites required to apply for City status than Drogheda.

If you can't argue his point, then ignore him. Don't ridicule the "campaign" and thread by being petty and childish with "dundawk" comments. :)

I don't see how it is a positive or a negative? Drogheda is Drogheda. Giving it a city status doesn't make the town any more vaulable, exciting, amazing or... well.. anything.

This is exactly what I am trying to understand. I am sure the group who is running the campaign has some impression that the City status would be good for business, tourism etc. I would like to know that, and drawbacks if any (like some new charges/rates/taxes) before I decide to support or reject this (not that my opinion makes any difference... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mydrogheda

Even if the push fails - it still will get people talking (look at thsi thread) and may get some airtime on the national stations which "may" reap some rewards via increased positive exposure for the town.

Its a worthwhile effort - odds do appear stacked against it (our population / so close to Dublin & Dundalk) but whats the harm in trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

The drogheda city status has launched their website

http://www.droghedacitystatus.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

It's not like we only discovered the town a few months ago or something. It's been around for a long time. Long enough that it has had plenty of time to develop a nice inner city. It hasn't, though.

It doesn't matter if the town is officially classed as a travelling circus. It's not going to change anything in the town.

First off, he made a very valid point. I haven't been in Dundalk in a few years, but it is certainly seems has more of the prerequisites required to apply for City status than Drogheda.

If you can't argue his point, then ignore him. Don't ridicule the "campaign" and thread by being petty and childish with "dundawk" comments. :)

If you were going to England for a weekend where would you go? London, Liverpool, Birmingham maybe Manchester

Scotland : Glasgow, Edinburgh

Wales: Cardiff maybe Swansea.

Why????

Because they are citys, If Liverpool wasnt a city it wouldn't get half the tourism it does. Its not all about local people. Becoming a city wouldn't change much for the average Drog but its people coming in.

Example.. I own a company in Belgium, I want to open in Ireland. Would like Dublin but god I heard the traffic is mental, prices are so high, theres a lot of crime.... mmm Waterford is just that bit too far, Newry is in the UK, Galway altough beautiful and with good transport systems is just a bit too far from the main business hub, oh how about Drogheda. Its on the main road and trainline between the 2 biggest citys, its 25 mins from an airport, it has its own sea merchant port, Prices arent massive .......

Altough I reaise that if it became a city we would get the usual sprawl but that would be gradual.

I just dont think its realistic though. We are too close to Dublin. Wouldnt make much sense for allocating resources e.g more hospitals, garda stations, bigger council.

In fairness Dundalk would be better suited, the layour of the town is even better. As KKV said, Drogheda is mainly West Street, a couple of retail parks and alot of housing estates.

Would be great for tourism and business but I just can't see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If this happens I pity the poor soul who comes on holiday to Drogheda thinking that he will be in a nice Irish/European city.

Drogheda is a really badly planned town. I find its buildings etc depressing. I hate it. That said, I love the people in Drogheda. I am one myself.

Im the opposite I like the town and not the people, well not all the people but when i walk across the town i almost feel nervous now. Just hate the site of the gangs of lil scumbags and worse the gangs of older scumbags walking round the place.

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Im the opposite I like the town and not the people, well not all the people but when i walk across the town i almost feel nervous now. Just hate the site of the gangs of lil scumbags and worse the gangs of older scumbags walking round the place.
    You have them everywhere. Im mostly out during the way. Its nice the way people actually say hello and stuff, not like say in Dublin, were everyone is rushing everywhere.

• Advertisement

I just dont like how anglisized the east coast has come. Go over to the west or down to cork and kerry and everyone seems so nice and happy. Even in restaurants the waitresses have real hospitality skills

Damn west Brits! :D

Drogheda is not that bad in fairness. Nor is Louth, thats mostly Dublin.

Oh i dunno, its a different culture altogether

The city status is something that drogheda badly needs . It can only be a massive positve from all points of view . The town needs to control its own destiny i.e it needs a city council . At the moment its controled by drogheda borough council , LCC and the outskirts of the town that stretch into meath are under MCC control .Its a mess tbh .Whats the problem with it ? Drogheda people need to start being more proud of who they are and where there from and stop looking at the negative all the time . And what have other towns suitability got to do with the Drogheda campaign .If " they " want to become a city fair play but lets leave that up to them .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

If you were going to England for a weekend where would you go? London, Liverpool, Birmingham maybe Manchester

Scotland : Glasgow, Edinburgh

Wales: Cardiff maybe Swansea.

Why????

Because they are citys, If Liverpool wasnt a city it wouldn't get half the tourism it does.

You can't seriously be comparing Drogheda to any of those cites...? It's 1/5th the size of the smallest city you quoted.

London... pop. 7,172,091
    Liverpool... pop. 469,017
    Birmingham... pop. 970,892
    Manchester... pop. 394,269
    Glasgow... pop. 581,320
    Swansea... pop. 169,880
    Drogheda... pop. 37,000

Your argument is that if Drogheda were a 'city' it would bring tourism but by International standards Drogheda is a medium sized town. You can walk from one end of it to the other in 15 minutes. What are tourist supposed to do here? It doesn't have the attractions, hotels, nightlife, to bring in tourists in any kind of large scale. Plus the town is extremely shabby.

It's a good industrial location... but it's never going to be a tourist hot spot. The best thing that could happen to Drogheda is a port development but that's unlikely to ever happen.

Drogheda has a long long way to go to even be considered a city (like most other 'cities' in Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Newry is a city ....population: 27,430, no close access to a major airport, no port, only recently has it got any kind of decent road network to it

Newry is a city ....population: 27,430,
    So is Kilkenny with 22,000... doesn't make it right though. :rolleyes:

The plan would be to bring in the town and its entire hinterland which would increase the population hugely and once this is done the development of the town could be done independanty of all the other county councils etc . You can walk around dublin city centre in jig time , same goes for manchester city centre , its tiny . Its about developing the town and area over time . Sligo are advertising themselves as a city and its smaller than Drogheda and has feck all going for it ?

The plan would be to bring in the town and its entire hinterland which would increase the population hugely
    No it wouldn't. It's just green fields.

People are going to have to stop comparing Drogheda to places like Dublin and Manchester. It just makes the argument comical by doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    If this happens I pity the poor soul who comes on holiday to Drogheda thinking that he will be in a nice Irish/European city.

Drogheda is a really badly planned town. I find its buildings etc depressing. I hate it. That said, I love the people in Drogheda. I am one myself.

Ye see, cities (real cities) can compensate for the scumbags / ugliness with beautiful architecture / parks etc, etc..

Advertisement