Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like life is passing me by

Options
  • 05-05-2010 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    Not a major problem at all but I'd like to vent it a bit.

I'm currently studying in University. I love my course and even though I usually dont achieve top marks in exams etc I really am enjoying the experience and getting better at it as time goes on.
    Its coming to the end of my first year now and I feel like life is passing me by.

Before I came to Uni I was constantly seeking somekind of adventure. I travelled around France in a van on my own. I had loads of different jobs. I sometimes found myself working in odd places and I was in a band. Coming to University was another bit of an adventure because I had to move abroad and I knew no one here when I first got here.

It just seems my life is lacking a bit now since I came here. I've tried joining clubs etc but I don't really have the time to do anything in the evenings or at the weekends because I'm working. All I have to look forward to this summer is more work to pay off debts and studying for resits.

I don't think I can hack it. I'm just waiting for something to happen. I'd love it if I suddenly for some unexplicable reason had to suddenly do something to save my ass. I want a bit of a test you know, I'm half hoping my car breaks down some night in the middle of nowhere just for a bit of excitement.

I know I can probably have a huge adventure in my own backyard and all that but it just doesn't seem likely.
    I'd love to go travelling again but can't even afford a plane ticket right now and I have to work this summer.

Its just because all day everyday I'm stuck in front of a computer screen or a book while theres a whole load of stuff out there waiting to be explored.
    I'm also fed up with hearing of my classmates time spent in foreign countries, some of them have been all over the place with their parents, Cambodia, Canada, USA, South Africa blah blah blah.

The furthest I ever made it was Paris in a van and on my own.
    The greatest adventure I ever had was two weeks I spent living on a tiny boat with my Dad back when I was about 14.

I blame my Dad for these feelings tbh lol:p
    When I was at home, there was always some small mini adventure that could happen where stuff would go wrong, people would fall and get injured, we'd get caught doing things we weren't supposed to be doing, my brother would usually break a bone or two, cars would be used for entirely different applications etc etc etc all with some seemingly ridiculous goal. i.e. "Thats an nice rock at the bottom of that cliff but it ways a ton, hmmmmm"

Does anyone else ever feel like this? I don't really know what I want tbh, just some kind of chaos I suppose.

Anyone have any opinions or who can relate?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I dont think you mentioned which year you are in, but you can still have mini adventures while studying. Do'nt let your melancholy drag you down so low such that you end up not doing anything even if you have plenty of time to. You have weekends, for example, and bank holidays. No-one has ever spent their entire lives in an 'adventure', and we all must take time off to focus on developing our career too, which is what university will do for you.

You can still plan ahead now for what you will do AFTER university. For example, you don't have to buy a house and can instead rent apartments. This will make it much easier to move around. You could also start learning a foreign language such as Spanish or CHinese, and then visit a country which spaeks those to live and work.

You live in Ireland which - despite first looks - is a very free country when yuo compare it to others.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

You are looking for excitement.

Your question is about how to find it.

A cruel answer would be: it is all around you. Why are you so boring as to not to see it?

A realistic answer would be this: what is it you want from life? You seem to thrive on difficult situations, and therefore need to be out there in some kind of situation where this kind of skill would be valuable.

What kind of future are you working towards? There's a role for people like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

Stick Uni out it will pay off in the long run. I got pretty restless towards the end to, altho I really miss it now!! But after a year of work I am getting ready to go off to asia and australia for a year or so.
    To me you sound like someone who would be good in the Army! Ever think of joining?

Advertisement