Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calculating nominal power output for a ac induction motor

Options
  • 05-05-2010 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

hi lads i just need sending in the right direction as im completly clueless here with a question i have .

i need to calculate nominal power output for a ac induction motor
    ,used to drive a hydraulic system and the subjectied load is variable .

i have the fluid pressue the flowrate of the fluid and the duration ofthe load on each,also its a gear type pump and i have its displacement
    and the mechanical efficency .

i just need a push in the right direction on where to start .

thanks for anyhelp in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I suggest you
    1 - calculate how much work this system will do. If it is lifting something, then what weight, and how high? If it is turning a shaft, then how much torque & at what rpm? You'll get an answer in joules.

2 - How much time is available to for this work?

3 - Work done/time available = Watts delivered at the system output

4 - there will be inefficiencies both in the gear pump and also the piping etc due to the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid. You will need to calculate/estimate an efficiency value .

5 - divide result found in step 3 by efficiency , this will tell you how many watts of mechanical energy the motor has to deliver. (Note, it will not tell you about torque or RPM, you will need to figure that out separately. )

This may be the nominal power output. If not, proceed to step 6

6 - to find out how much energy the motor will consume, then you take result in step 5 & divide by motor efficiency.

Another issue is - if the load varies, then the motor speed will also vary. Will you need to control this? how?

-FoxT

Advertisement