Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Vista Ultimate Product Key

Options
  • 05-05-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I recently came into possesion of a new PC which came with "Vista Ultimate" pre-installed (no OEM CD) I am going to install XP instead and was wondering if the product key for windows vista is worth anything ie (cash)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OEM windows licenses are NON transferrable.

so you can't sell the preinstalled license

and you can't move XP unless it's a transferrable license

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MiCrOMaN1

to be honest I dont know if the licence is an OEM one!
    is there any way to check?
    and if it is transferable is it worth anything?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You've already said it came preinstalled and that it didn't come with the OEM CD.

Only if you bought it yourself can you be sure it's transferrable.

Even an upgrade can be poisoned if you upgrade over an OEM copy.

The same rules apply to XP, if it came preinstalled or upgraded a preinstalled machine then it lives and dies with the motherboard in the original machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Before downgrading you might want to make sure they have drivers for your PC. Many new laptops and desktops coming out (especially HP and Dell) only support Vista or Windows 7 - new hardware requirements are not possible in XP for some of the new kit - meaning your graphics card, network card, wireless, or sound might not work at all under XP.

Same goes for Acers and those Aldi Tevions.

Just a heads up.

Advertisement