Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR cctv image problem

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

You may be able to help me with a problem I have with my DVR.
    I can access the DVR perfectly from my home network on a pc using supplied software and from the browser by typing in the IP address. I can also access through
    the software from my laptop but when I try to access from the web browser by typing the IP address the camera images do not appear. I am able to log into the DVR and
    can see and use all the controls but just cannot see the images- just a
    black window with "Disconnect" in the top left corner. I've attached a
    screenshot below.

I have tried accessing remotely through the internet from other laptops
    also and some work fine while others show a blank black window where the camera images should be.
    Do you know what is causing this?

I dont think its a windows problem.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I think this is a security issue with active X and Vista. Id nearly put money on it that the ones that worked were all probably XP Pro? What you need to do is either download the Vista version software and you may also need to put the external IP into the "trusted sites" and then manually change all the security settings in there to allow active X etc. Finally your firewall can play havok with CCTV as the commands it uses and the requests from it are similar to what popular viruses uses so it automatically blocks them. again you may need to change settings here as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Yes I think its some form of a security issue on the local machine. It works on vista on one machine but wont work on another. Windows firewall and router firewall turned off, still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

FusionNet wrote: »
    I think this is a security issue with active X and Vista. Id nearly put money on it that the ones that worked were all probably XP Pro? What you need to do is either download the Vista version software and you may also need to put the external IP into the "trusted sites" and then manually change all the security settings in there to allow active X etc. Finally your firewall can play havok with CCTV as the commands it uses and the requests from it are similar to what popular viruses uses so it automatically blocks them. again you may need to change settings here as well...

Found it, not 100% solved but its my antivirus software thats blocking the image, need to find a way to allow the images through without having to completely turn off the antivirus now.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

hi guys
    can anybody recommend a dvr for me for my cctv system. i require 8 ch and internet access. i seen ones on ebay from china at a fairly reasonably price but are they any good? also for internet connect i have a router so does the dvr just connect to that and sets up its own ip address or what way does it work.
    any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

hi guys
    can anybody recommend a dvr for me for my cctv system. i require 8 ch and internet access. i seen ones on ebay from china at a fairly reasonably price but are they any good? also for internet connect i have a router so does the dvr just connect to that and sets up its own ip address or what way does it work.
    any help would be great

You get what you pay for. Check the specs carefully and be aware of what you are getting. Many will have a low frame rate or a low quality recording resolution or both. I got one with its D1 (720x576) preview blah but the actual recorded video is only 2CIF 706x288. At least I knew what I was getting. Also the cameras tend to be low spec as well with maybe 420 lines. Most standard cameras now are 500 line plus (just a better resolution image).

The DVR would just connect using a network cable to your router. The instructions with the DVR will tell you if you manually need to give it an IP address or if it will automatically pick one up from the router (DHCP).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

Zith wrote: »
    You get what you pay for. Check the specs carefully and be aware of what you are getting. Many will have a low frame rate or a low quality recording resolution or both. I got one with its D1 (720x576) preview blah but the actual recorded video is only 2CIF 706x288. At least I knew what I was getting. Also the cameras tend to be low spec as well with maybe 420 lines. Most standard cameras now are 500 line plus (just a better resolution image).

The DVR would just connect using a network cable to your router. The instructions with the DVR will tell you if you manually need to give it an IP address or if it will automatically pick one up from the router (DHCP).
    thanks Zith
    the info u gave me is very helpful i have cameras installed fairly decent ones so im looking for a decent dvr.
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

If you can spend the few quad and maybe go with a brandname. Ive recently converted over to Eneo and I like them though you do pay a little more.. Have you a max budget you cant go above? Cause that really really determine your product/spec and brand.. Dont forget try and get a decent warranty too...

Advertisement