Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

priest not sure about heaven

Options
  • 04-05-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I was just wondering if anybody was listening to the Gerry Ryan show today 4th may where Evelyn O'Rourke presented the show.
    Evelyn was talking to father Brian Darcy about him self and how he knew Gerry.
    To make a long story short before Brian Darcy finished Eveline asked him to "give some sort of blessing or some sort of words of comfort".
    During the blessing father Darcy said" if there is a heaven Gerry's in it, if he isn't i don't want to be in it".
    I just found it odd that a priest would question the existence of heaven and then go on to say if there is a heaven and Gerry Ryan is not there"i don't want to be in it".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It was just a figure of speech, I doubt the Vatican are going to be sending squads of SWAT priests after him to make sure he actually does believe in heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 janeeen

Yea probably was a figure of speech but to me it shows how much priests and some people can loose touch with there faith and religion by making silly comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

janeeen wrote: »
    During the blessing father Darcy said" if there is a heaven Gerry's in it, if he isn't i don't want to be in it".
    I just found it odd that a priest would question the existence of heaven and then go on to say if there is a heaven and Gerry Ryan is not there"i don't want to be in it".

He's pretty much not a priest tbh. I know a woman who is still officially a Jehovahs Witness, but really she's not. The above is just the nonsense ramblings of a faithless ex-priest. I am no fan of the RCC, but 'Father' Brian D'Arcy speaks for the RC church as George Bush speaks for Mensa.

He's pretty much a play to the crowd guy in anything I've seen or read. He seems more agnostic than anything else to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

JimiTime wrote: »
    He's pretty much not a priest tbh.
    Pretty much ... but still an official ordained priest of the RC Church (?)
    If our hope in Christ is good only for this life, we are worse off than anyone else. (1Co 15:19)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Wy wife heard this yesterday and mentioned it to me - she was pretty shocked and disappointed to hear a priest utter words like these. I wasnt totally surprised myself. I can empathise with Jimitimes "play to the crowds" comment

I think my wife was more surprised by Bono quoting the Quaran!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Don't know about this chap, but there are obviously some members of the clergy who are trapped in a job without belief. It is sad for them and sad for their congregation. Dan Dennett has looked into this, I gather, with his usual style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

This article in the Fermanagh Herald gives a more nuanced view of Father Brian Darcy's opinions of Gerry Ryan.

Statements like the one quoted remind me of the days when I studied philosophical logic, and we tried to express complex conditional sentences in some sort of formal notation. I would "translate" Father Darcy's statement as follows: "I believe that Gerry Ryan is in heaven (which is somewhere I want to be), and if it turns out that he isn't, then heaven can't be as I conceive it (so I wouldn't want to go there)." So Father Darcy isn't questioning the existence of heaven, just heaven's attributes.

Would it be like saying: "If Cork is a city then it would have a Michelin 3-star restaurant, and if it doesn't I don't want to go there"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Sentimental folk religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

The catholic church is dead in ireland !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not true and not relevant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement