Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good GP in Dublin city center

Options
  • 04-05-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,
    bit of background.. we're both foreigners therefore a bit lost :)
    We're 8th week pregnant .. we went to our GP 2 weeks ago, who stared at us and said something along the lines of "what do you want me to do about it"; completely useless & charged us 30 euros while he was at it (still fuming about it ..)

Can anyone recommend a good GP in Dublin city center (we re in D7) ? We're clueless .. but from what i can gather a GP should get us a letter of referral for a hospital to get us started & set our first appointment ?
    Or can we direct to the hospital ?

thanks a mill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You can go direct to the hospital, but really your GP should have told you that and told you your options. It would be worth looking for a different GP if your own doesn't even give you information.

I can't recommend any unfortunately! There's a good doc on O'Connell St down beside the bridge but only been to him twice.

Congratulations. Give the hospital of your choice a ring and tell them you want to book in. Are you going to go public/private/semi-private? They'll need to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I go to Custom House Square Medical Centre in the IFSC. There's around 7 docs there and they are open from 7am-7pm. They have a mini-ultrasound machine so they can give you a quick scan when you get to about 12 weeks (not really good enough for before this time).

In the meantime if you know what hosp and care you want you should just go ahead and book that now, as you don't need a docs referral to make an appointment with the Dublin hospitals.

If you have any questions about public, semi-private and private care there's a few threads on here with information, or else ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

We used to attend the Temple Bar Medical Center, on the quays (live abroad now). Great husband and wife team there, and always able to get an appointment if neccessary. Very compassionate (we went there through three years of infertility treatment, then the pregnancy). They were 60 euro two years ago though, so a bit more expensive than your doc (mind, appointments during pregnancy were free).

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Because you're still fuming about it, I would go back to the first doctor (maybe only by phone to start with) and demand that at least he gives you the famous referal letter with your due date (EDD=estimated date of delivery). At no further charge.

Then maybe only deal with an hospital or a midwifes clinic. You need to be registered fairly quickly as the baby boom is quite impressive out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Because you're still fuming about it, I would go back to the first doctor (maybe only by phone to start with) and demand that at least he gives you the famous referal letter with your due date (EDD=estimated date of delivery). At no further charge.

Then maybe only deal with an hospital or a midwifes clinic. You need to be registered fairly quickly as the baby boom is quite impressive out there...

I'll second that, he should have given you a referral letter as you'll need that for your first hospital appointment so I would ring him and ask him to leave one at reception for you. In the meantime tho', I would ring the hospital (probably the Rotunda if you're in D7? http://www.rotunda.ie/) - you can do that yourself not the gp- and book in asap as it is VERY busy out there! Sorry, I don't know a doctor in the city centre but, if you do find a good one, you/they can apply for Combined Care ( more info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/women-s-health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services) which means that half your visits will be to the doctor and half to hospital and all doctor's visits (pregnancy related) will be free of charge.

Congratulations and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 BrianBlessed

Hi

We're also in Dublin 7 and were looking for a new gp in the area as our old one was too not convenient to bring our new baby to.

Our district health nurse reccommended the practice at 53 Mountjoy St, we haven't gone yet though so we don't know how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I used to work with Dr.Toss Maher, who works in between his two clinics in Cabra and Drumcondra. He is excellent and very approachable. They have a website now- cabramedical.com

By the way, don't wait to get a GP letter. Ring the Rotunda as soon as possible to ask for a booking appointment (choice of public- domino/early transfer home/general antenatal, semi-private and private).

Advertisement