Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grow mushrooms in dublin

Options
  • 04-05-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a shaded area in the garden, and I am contemplating growing mushrooms in that localised area. The area is big enough, so I would not need to use small containers.

Do you know how difficult is to do that? I live in Dublin.

Any ideas for any other vegetables that might grow in that shady condition?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

Mushrooms ain't vegetables, my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

True, they are fungi.

Anyway, the question was mainly about how to grow them . :)

cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Mushrooms are not easy to grow in gardens..you must first innoculate the soil or medium with spores..this often doesnt work and sterile growing medium must be used instead..most people grow mushrooms from kits.
    Here's a few points etc.

That site contains really useful information

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

The best way to grow them is to put the mushroom compost into a bucket or large pot. Make sure it's moist, but not too wet, then cover it with black plastic and leave it in a shed where it will be kept warm enough. Then wait and without fail, you will get lots and lots of mushrooms. That's what I did this year and it was simple. They need darkness, warmth and moisture and that's it. You can then use the spent mushroom compost in the ground to help improve your other plants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Lidl had mushroom growing kits last week - might still be some if you ring around the shops. You have to keep them at 20 degrees (celsius) for five days, then 16 degrees for another couple of weeks - hotpress ftw.

Great, I will pass by LIDL to check it out! Thanks for that

The idea of growing mushrooms was motivated by having a shady area in m garden, covered by trees.

However, it appears that a shed might be a better place than a shady garden area? As Degsy said, the soil has to be first innoculated, and the shed will provide better darkness

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

pjuegos wrote: »
    Great, I will pass by LIDL to check it out! Thanks for that

The idea of growing mushrooms was motivated by having a shady area in m garden, covered by trees.

However, it appears that a shed might be a better place than a shady garden area? As Degsy said, the soil has to be first innoculated, and the shed will provide better darkness

cheers

It seems that the temperature is the main thing. If you think about the field mushrooms we get here - the same kind you'd be growing - they're mostly in bloom in the warm, damp time of September or so.

(Though there are blewits in the Dublin Mountains and the Wicklow Hills in spring; and of course chantarelles in autumn.)

I'd love to grow shiitake mushrooms, but my one attempt didn't succeed; I suspect that it's just not hot enough here. Maybe if you had a hoophouse/polytunnel and made part of it dark...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jd1959

Had good luck with using plug spawn for inoculating logs for different types of mushrooms myself. Oyster, Shiitake, lions mane, only haven't had luck with some of the species that need higher temperatures. Paul Stamets company Fungi Perfecti have been an excellent source. Just keep an eye out for hardwood trees being cut or damage after storms.

Advertisement