Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 on older Compaq

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I have a Compaq R4000 series laptop with an Athlon 64 bit chip. I recently upgraded to Windows 7. Unfortunately there are a few drivers missing. There is no driver for the sound card, or "quick launch" buttons, or the sd card slot. I have searched Microsoft's website to no avail. I also searched HP's website as well. I emailed HP last night and got a reply today, basically they said that the computer was out of waranty and they weren't going to do anything.
    I tried some vista 64 drivers bit got all kinds of compatibility issues. Am using a program called DriverMax as well. Nothing useful on it.
    Is there any hope or am I doomed to XP??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

check the manufacturer website for the drivers, not just HP. I have a compaq nc8230 running win7, and i've installed some XP and Vista drivers, without much fuss. As for the quick Lanuch, just google it. It was removed in Win7 because the taskbar has newer better features. You need to add the quicklaunch toolbar back in, but it's quite easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Vista drivers 99% of the time are the exact same as Windows 7. Many manufactures don't have Windows 7 drivers listed, so just try the Vista drivers - it will tell you if they are not compatible and won't install them if there is an issue.

Also, are you using Windows 7 64 or 32? Just because you have a 64 bit processor does not mean the OS you installed is 64 bit.

You can't upgrade a 32bit OS to a 64bit one, so if you recently 'upgraded' it, literally using the W7 upgrade process, then you are running Windows 7 32 bit.

Try Vista 32 drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Hairyass wrote: »
    I have a Compaq R4000 series laptop with an Athlon 64 bit chip. I recently upgraded to Windows 7. Unfortunately there are a few drivers missing. There is no driver for the sound card, or "quick launch" buttons, or the sd card slot. I have searched Microsoft's website to no avail. I also searched HP's website as well. I emailed HP last night and got a reply today, basically they said that the computer was out of waranty and they weren't going to do anything.
    I tried some vista 64 drivers bit got all kinds of compatibility issues. Am using a program called DriverMax as well. Nothing useful on it.
    Is there any hope or am I doomed to XP??

Pretty common theme, as has been said try install quicklaunch for Vista, if there are other drivers missing try

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

And search for drivers that are missing. There may be Vista Equivelants, in the case of Chipset and Graphics drivers check with the manufacturer and see.

Advertisement