Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunaras????

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi there.
    Im going into first year in NUIG this September and have some questions on Dunaras student accommodation.

Well Im fairly sure at this stage that this is the accomodation I will go for..I really dont mind the walk as thats what I walk everyday to school, and plus, now they have the free shuttle bus :) I was set on Corrib Village for the fun of the place and the whole meeting new people aspect of it, coz I am goin NUIG by myself, friends all goin other places :( But Corrib Village is simply too expensive for me so Im going for somewher where you pay in two seperate amounts like one in August and one in December or January......but anyways was just wonderin..........

-What is Dunaras like for 1st years? Im just worries that when I arrive it will be bombarded with second or third years.. I want to be able to meet other first years like...
    -Are the first years allocated into their own set of apartments??
    -How many students per apartment??
    -Whats Dunaras like for parties and fun??
    -Is it really strict??

-and overall whats your overall views on Dunaras for an upcoming first year looking for a bitta craic and to meet lotsa new people???? :)

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me by answering these questions :) I would be very greatful for people who can help me out :) THanks :P :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

1992 wrote: »
    -[What is Dunaras like for 1st years? Im just worries that when I arrive it will be bombarded with second or third years.. I want to be able to meet other first years like...
    It's nearly all 1st years that stay there so you should have no problems meetin people.
    -Are the first years allocated into their own set of apartments??
    It's about 90% 1st years,and then the older years have their own block.
    --How many students per apartment??depends I was in an apartment with 2 others last year.There are some bigger apartments with 5 or so in them.
    -Whats Dunaras like for parties and fun??
    -Is it really strict??
    Ther aren't as many parties as corrib village and they wouldn't be as big.There are still some decent parties there though.secuirity can be strict enough at times,but you don't need to sign people in or out like in corrib.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Eh why don't want you want to meet other years. They can be better craic than the first years.
    Don't limit yourself like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 so sound

Honestly it is 90 percent first years.. they have their own massive block, the majority of appartments house four, the odd one houses five and the bottom floors house 3. They other years have their own block but few live there after first year, and the majority of them are americans and spanish over for erasmus. So if that is a concern dont worry about it. And knowing older years is so handy. you find out what lecturers are lik, wher to get books, plus they are great craic. The first week is always the best because that is wen everyone is outside gettin to kno eachother.

The management are dead on this year.. and will normally know you by your first name even if you don't know theirs. And are pretty understanding about most things. unless u cost several thousand euros worth of damage they arent gonna kick u out. Security guards are a bit different. One is completely sound and then ther is this other lad who is a head wreak.. :mad:but he is managable. They go round each individual appartment after nine to check doors. just for security reasons. Its got its advantages and disadvantages. Cuz at three in the mornin u cud have a drunken twat land into u.. (happened) or have a security guard annoy the girl downstairs to wake up and lock the door (also happened).

Donal the bus driver is a legend :cool: and you have no idea how handy that bus is when the weather is rotten.. it is so easy to stay at home and skip lectures. especially in first year.. really dont advise it tho.. it is such a bad habit to get into.. believe me i kno.

Dunaras is really far from town. Not awful but not as handy as cuirt or gort. u cant just walk home after a nyt out.. this is literally the only draw back.

Have loads of fun in first year!! it is the best!!

so sound wrote: »
    Dunaras is really far from town. Not awful but not as handy as cuirt or gort. u cant just walk home after a nyt out.. this is literally the only draw back.
    I used to walk home after almost every night out.It's great craic if there are a group of ye.I don't know about walking home by yourself,could be dodgy enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭1992

so sound wrote: »
    Honestly it is 90 percent first years.. they have their own massive block, the majority of appartments house four, the odd one houses five and the bottom floors house 3. They other years have their own block but few live there after first year, and the majority of them are americans and spanish over for erasmus. So if that is a concern dont worry about it. And knowing older years is so handy. you find out what lecturers are lik, wher to get books, plus they are great craic. The first week is always the best because that is wen everyone is outside gettin to kno eachother.

This sounds like the place for me tbh :) I think I will book it and hope for the best :)

Meh think I'll live with this, I'll make sure I walk in groups or jus get a taxi or somethin :)

Have loads of fun in first year!! it is the best!!

Thank You, I'm sure I will :D

• Advertisement

Sounds fun :) Many others goin to Dunaras in September????

Oh and also guys, whats it like gettin back to Dunaras after a night out, would ye recommend a taxi or walkin or what???

Oh and also guys, whats it like gettin back to Dunaras after a night out, would ye recommend a taxi or walkin or what???
    If it's not raining and you're not by yourself I'd say walk,takes around 40 minutes though.

If it's not raining and you're not by yourself I'd say walk,takes around 40 minutes though.

Oh seriously? :/ thats kinda long :/ Oh well, I suppose I'll have to live with it................

Do you find out who you're stayin with a few months before or when ya eventually get there???

Oh seriously? Do you find out who you're stayin with a few months before or when ya eventually get there???
    If you haven't arranged to share with one of your friends then you don't find out untill you move in.

If you haven't arranged to share with one of your friends then you don't find out untill you move in.

Oh ok :) thanks for answerin :) I cant wait now tbh :) Can anyone tell me does the shuttlebus go just from the accommodation to the college, or does it also do from NUIG to Dunaras???

• Advertisement

Oh Can anyone tell me does the shuttlebus go just from the accommodation to the college, or does it also do from NUIG to Dunaras???
    It goes from NUIG to Dunaras as well :D

It goes from NUIG to Dunaras as well :D

oooh yay :D that takes away that worry :P are you livin there at the moment :D

oooh yay :D that takes away that worry :P are you livin there at the moment :D
    I only stay there the days that i have exams,and they finish Monday.I've noticed that this new management company seem to be doing the place up a it too,painting the place and powerhosing everywhere.Hope you like it;).

I only stay there the days that i have exams,and they finish Monday.I've noticed that this new management company seem to be doing the place up a it too,painting the place and powerhosing everywhere.Hope you like it;).

:P im sure I will, sounds great :D what year you in :)

:P im sure I will, sounds great :D what year you in :)
    Just finished 1st year.A piece of advice though,don't have the heaters on for full blast for a few hours.we did this and then we got a letter from management saying that our last electricity bill was too high!

Just finished 1st year.A piece of advice though,don't have the heaters on for full blast for a few hours.we did this and then we got a letter from management saying that our last electricity bill was too high!

:P haha ok will take that on board :) you gonna stay in Dunaras again nxt year or where you stayin? you enjoyed stayin there then ya? :D

:P you gonna stay in Dunaras again nxt year or where you stayin? you enjoyed stayin there then ya? :D
    No I'm probably going to get a house,it'll be cheaper:D. Ya I had the craic surely in Dunaras.there might not be as many wild parties as corrib,but you have a decent sized apartment that's fairly nice compared to other student apartments.

No I'm probably going to get a house,it'll be cheaper:D. Ya I had the craic surely in Dunaras.there might not be as many wild parties as corrib,but you have a decent sized apartment that's fairly nice compared to other student apartments.

The majority of people have said they enjoyed there time at Dunaras so im definately happy now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It should be a good laugh!

I reckon anything is better than Corrib!:D

poisonated wrote: »
    It should be a good laugh!

I reckon anything is better than Corrib!:D

you heading there ya? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Yeah, looking forward to it. Probably see u at a few parties:)

poisonated wrote: »
    Yeah, looking forward to it. Probably see u at a few parties:)

ha ya thats where ya'll surely find me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

Wow, after reading this I'm almost convinced to go there myself :)

Don't really mind the walking I suppose, it should cure me of the 1st-year-college-fatty syndrome anyways ;)

My friends are booked into Gort, really starting to regret not booking there earlier :(

Wow, after reading this I'm almost convinced to go there myself :)

Don't really mind the walking I suppose, it should cure me of the 1st-year-college-fatty syndrome anyways ;)

My friends are booked into Gort, really starting to regret not booking there earlier :(

ya i was regrettin that too tbh, but i dont mind now coz iv heard good things about dunaras.... i dont really mind that im not stayin with my friends, im lookin forward to meetin new people :D

Advertisement