Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passengers

Options
  • 04-05-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I wonder does anyone know the story with passengers and seatbelts in campers.I have a ducato panel van converted with 2 car seats fitted behind driver's seat.No seat belts fitted.Apart from obivous saftey issues is this going to be a problem with the law in Ireland and Europe.
    Also are passengers allowed to sit in the seats at the back of the van while in motion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cir287

first potential problem is what the van/camper is registered as. if its on the logbook as a van then as far as revenue are concerned you have converted the van to a passanger vehicle without paying vrt, thats a take it on the spot job (whether you carry passangers or not) if you run in to a checkpoint and you will have to pay dearly to get back. insurance would be null and void too.

if it is registered as a camper then yes you are allowed passangers in the back provided it was passed as such but with no seatbelts I doubt its been passed. Revenue might not have such a big gripe but guards and insurance would have a field day with you.

in short, unless I have missed something, I reckon that if you run into a tax/insurance/customs checkpoint, you will be walking home.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Thanks for the info but I found out from a nice man at one of the clubs that I don't have to fit belts to the seats in the back.
    Saying that i won't be bringing it to the tax man until next week and then i shall know for sure one way or the other.

Advertisement