Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving out during 6th year?

Options
  • 04-05-2010 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Lets just say that things at home are more than a bit difficult and I cannot see myself being able to concentrate even a tiny bit on the LC while still living here.

My boyfriend (of 2 years) is getting his own space this Summer and it really does seem like a good alternative, my Mam is supportive and says if it turns bad I can always come home and that she will help me out with money when she can but I was wondering if there was any form of finance I could get maybe similar to a 3rd level grant? I'm 18 and have a part-time job but some extra cash for rent etc. would really help. My boyfriend has told me he will pay but I don't fancy the money problems that would undoubtedly occur if he was the only source of finance. I'm not really sure where to look so any information or advice would be VERY welcome! Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

You're probably not going to want to hear this and have already made up your mind, but leaving the house would be the very last resort, IMO.

Worrying about money etc. will undoubtedly be worse than having to listen to roaring going on in the background. My parents practically murder each other more than once a week, I considered moving out for the year too, but while you can stick your headphones in and turn them up loud while they're at each other's throats, you will not get money worries out of your mind, no matter what.

Plus you probably wouldn't get much done with the added distraction of your boyfriend being around all the time ;)

If I were you, I'd stick it out at home.

With regards to finance etc. I seriously doubt there would be anything for voluntarily moving out like that, but I don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

IsMiseMe wrote: »
    Lets just say that things at home are more than a bit difficult and I cannot see myself being able to concentrate even a tiny bit on the LC while still living here.

My boyfriend (of 2 years) is getting his own space this Summer and it really does seem like a good alternative, my Mam is supportive and says if it turns bad I can always come home and that she will help me out with money when she can but I was wondering if there was any form of finance I could get maybe similar to a 3rd level grant? I'm 18 and have a part-time job but some extra cash for rent etc. would really help. My boyfriend has told me he will pay but I don't fancy the money problems that would undoubtedly occur if he was the only source of finance. I'm not really sure where to look so any information or advice would be VERY welcome! Cheers :)

So essentially you are looking for free money so you can move out of home and in with your boyfriend even though he can already afford the rent and you have a part time job. I know the welfare in this country is generous but seriously.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I'm sorry but this isnt a very good idea.

I have 2 friends that moved out for the leaving cert, let me tell you their stories.

One was being abuused by his mother.. like seriously abused, he got taken out into a foster home in 5th year everything was going great, but as we all know 6th year is the year when you're nearly, or in your case are 18 so you're allowed go out when your friends are going out and what not. Anyways my friend had all the intntions of picking up his life, forst choice was medicine senconf choice pshycology. He is now doing drugs.

My other friend was in the same scenario as you, his parents were always fighting so he got his own place with 2 other of his friends. He was living there from ooctober to april and got nothing done, honestly he was out more than he was actually in the house. He's now thinking of repeating, which means ANOTHER year with his parents killing each other. Great fun, eh?

It's our own opinion but they're my friends stories and maybe you might have strong will power and want to get the ponts and course you want but in all fairness are you going to throw it all away from one year?
    You're going to have plenty of time in college.

My advice, invest in some earmuffs, i have them and they work wonders :)

Good luck in making your decision, let's hope it's the right one!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I read the first two sentences n wen I saw the word boyfriend I knew u were making a bad choice already. Families fight, their is blood on the table, litterly, wen me n my family fight. I have had my nose broken quite badly b4 wen my brother punched me in the face... I have been abused by him also.

Being with ur bf will distract u **** loads... My boyfriend of four years n myself havnt seen eachother in over 3 months and I'm in 6th year.
    He is very supportive n tends to spoil me with gifts from time to time if I do well in school. God bless him. :)

I have considered moving out too but by the grace of God my family is much less dysfunctional than wat it used to be. Just think, y r things bad at home? Asess tge problem and tackle it head on. A boyfriend isn't forever ( not necceraly ) but a family is for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

To the Library!

'Tis Free:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I wouldn't recommend moving in with a boyfriend and running your own home for the first time during your leaving cert year. If things are that bad, are there any other relatives nearby you could stay with, or at least set up a study in their house? Grannies, aunts, uncles, older siblings?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not a great idea. What happens if you split up with your boyfriend? Where will you go then?

Also, you'll be cooking your own meals, washing clothes etc. Maybe you do some of this at home, but you'll find you'll have less time if your doing household stuff as well as studying.

A better alternative would be to go to your local library and stay there studying as long as possible everyday or if there is supervised study in your school to go there after school.

Or if you live near a college you could probably study there, I know college students complain about leaving certs taking up space in college libraries, but I'd imagine that's the least of your worries if you really want to work.

Advertisement