Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people have NO patience?!

Options
  • 04-05-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Ventured into town today, all proud of myself, looked half daycent & had a cuppa with a friend. Brought the little man. Any of you new parents will know venturing out with a 6 week old is not easy, understatement. Went to post a baby present to a friend of mine and carried the baby in so it was one-handed movements all the way. Nobody else in the post office, which surprised me as is directly opposite the University but now I know why!
    So I put the present on the counter, had greeted lady in her 50s nicely, next thing she barks, 'What am I supposed to do with this then?' as I went to get my wallet. I told her and added my usual please etc but while I was getting the money she told me she didn't have all day! I was always SO nice to people even before I had the wee man, I couldn't get over this! There was nobody else in there, I almost started crying to be honest but didn't. Has anyone any tips on how to cope with these types of situations or any similar ones? People are usually so kind, grr!!! Rant over.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think I would have been seriously rude to her myself. No need for that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ooh, I've heard stories about her before! What a wagon. I wonder if you could report her to a higher PO person? I usually use the one in Barna myself.

People have been generally kinder to me when I have the little dude in tow. The only thing I notice is people running faster to get through doors so they don't have to hold them for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Firstly i'd report the bitch to Billy Cameron!
    Handling situations like that do get easier as the time goes on, you're hormones are all over the place still, i was like a lamb for a good few weeks after my daughter was born. Unfortunately there are people everywhere who at some stage will be rude to you, i had an encounter with an employee of a clothing chain in The Galway Shopping Centre a few months back and the only reason i didn't blow my top was because of my daughter. I stand by my grandfathers motto ' Fu*k them with kindness* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Mr.Cameron was beside her so I doubt he'd care! Maybe it is just my hormones but I'm finally in my happy bubble & can't understand why other people are so impatient etc. I was always decent to people with babies, it's not easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I doubt it was because you had the baby with you, some people are just bitches no matter what.

I'd have taken even longer if she had said that to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'd say she would have been like that even if you didn't have a baby with you, hmmmm me thinks a letter to the Advertiser is in order :D

I nearly dropped the poor lad in fright, I think I must have mellowed somewhat with years cos in the past I'd have told her to open the bloody package I'd bought her a new personality or something, my sarky side has seriously diminished. Funny how little things get to you more and you become so much more precious about everything, I mean I pick up WAY more rubbish now than I used only because somehow I stupidly think it'll make a difference and the world will be better for my wee man!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

With the benefit of hindsight I would like to think I would have looked around the empty shop and said something like "Would you like me to lie my baby down on the floor so that I can get to my wallet quicker?" or "Maybe you would like to hold my baby so I get this done quicker for you"

You don't think it when you're in the first few weeks - I was the same as you always crying! But you get a thick skin pretty quickly! I remember when he was very little worrying about bringing him anywhere cos I thought he was crying all the time. Now I know I have a much higher tolerance threshold for him crying cos I know that he's fine that other people aren't bothered in the least!

Girls ye make me feel so normal, thanks :.)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Say nothing in situations like that. Kill em with kindness. You did the right thing. Pity the woman. She probably has a miserable life, people like that usually do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Had a similar experience a couple of days ago in the supermarket with my toddler in tow. She wanted to be up in my arms ( wasn't feeling the best) so I was struggling with trying to get a euro coin out of the wallet in the handbag to get a trolley when a 'lady' ( who had parked in the spot for pregnant women and really really did not look pregnant) said excuse me to get me out of her way so she could get a trolley and not have to wait the 30 seconds it would have taken me to complete my juggling act.:mad:

But as opposed to that lots of people are randomly kind too...so it balances out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So which post office was this? I may head in just for the lark. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 trakeena

If you are talking about the post office in Galway on Newcastle Road I wouldn't take it personally. That place has a problem with people in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Alib2009

You poor thing, I know the feeling. My own litte man is getting bit 2 since feb and a great yapper. So when we meet a right "PUP" (child friendly language)

I say quite loud, now see that persons mammy and daddy never taught them about manners, and that is not nice. Ususally they have the decency to blush.

Your best policy if you ever get stuck is look for a fellow mum, I always offer when I see a mum struggling with trolley, buggy - think it should be mentioned at the ante natal classes a kind of mummy pay it forward ! What do you reckon girls ? (and dads of course)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭Chesty LaRue

Ignore her...she prob needs a good s"ag!!!:D
    Dont let ignornant people like her ruin your otherwise eventful and joyful day. Yes, my DS is 3wks 3days and every outing is organised with military presicion...but it good to get out and meet up with friends. enjoy your Babs....

Funny how this was about my treatment & all of a sudden the Post Office is well known, seems having mentioned it to a few that it's renowned for narkiness. I agree with the Mommy and Daddy pay-it-forward, I've never been so thankful for doors held etc, don't get me wrong, I don't expect it but I tried my best to do it for others long before I ever thought of children! As for military precision, you can sing that one! I've lists and post-its everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

You poor thing I'm so annoyed for you, what a b1tch that woman was :mad:

I was reared to always use manners, please thank you etc and as I work in retail I'm always especially nice to retail staff, yet I find the nicer you are to some people, the more they thin its acceptable to treat you like muck :mad:

I know what ye mean about the military precision when going out for a trip, no wonder my poor baba at 9 weeks hasn't been out much yet :o

I'd definitely report that horrible cow, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for her speaking to you like that. I have a great boss, but I know he would sack me in a heartbeat if I told someone to 'hurry up' when they were paying for something :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

trakeena wrote: »
    If you are talking about the post office in Galway on Newcastle Road I wouldn't take it personally. That place has a problem with people in general.

I had business in there once and found Mr Cameron in a highly impatient and irritable mood.

Haven't been back since. I like pleasant customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I do two things., without rudeness I point out that there is no need to be rude and I do not appreciate her attitude.
    then I write a complaint to her manager or main office explaining what happened etc.

You can not have a bad day everyday, and if the woman can not handle it, then let someone else more happy to have this job.

I experienced similar situation with court clerks in Tullamore.. one complaint solved everything. They are very helpful and professional now. I didn't want anyone to be fired, because it is not about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

OP this is absolutely unacceptable behaviour from any member of staff in a Post Office and I am shocked to hear that the general consensus is that the Postmaster himself is just as bad. I have sent the OP some further details, but when I say this behaviour is unacceptable I really mean it.. COMPLAIN these people to AN Post Customer Services. The do untold damage to the hard work the rest of us in An Post do to improve relationships with our customers every day.

Email: customer.services@anpost.ie
    Telephone: 01 7057600 or 1850575859

or write a letter on any envelope to
    Customer Services
    An Post
    Ground Floor
    GPO
    Freepost
    Dublin 1

As someone who works in this job myself may I apologise to you and let you know that your custom is appreciated by An Post (even though not by this particular Postmaster it appears!) You pay his salary. There is no personal circumstance which justifies treating customers like this. He'd be better off shutting his doors and letting someone who actually WANTS the job take the contract out of his hands than abusing people like this. IF enough of you complain him, he will be tackled by the company. Please do complain. Customer services are lovely people. I'd do it in letter or email format if it were myself. And good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I was reading this post last night thing how awful, thank god nothing likes that has never happened to me.
    Then today, was in local supervalu, buying bread and at the till with buggy, kinda tight but hey we fitted ,was rummaging through purse to pay, when a lady at the next checkout was coming through with her trolley, buggy was kinda sticking out in her way(kinda).
    She grunted at me, I said, the usual, 'god, sorry' and went to move buggy, there was people behind me so couldnt go to far, and of course then I dropped all the change in my purse.
    I got really flustered, and went to pick it up, when i looked up she was banging her trolley off the buggy trying to move it!! :mad::mad:The buggy with my precious baby in it! Who in gods name, repeatably bangs into a buggy with a obviously little baby with a trolley, if he had off went over, I swear I wouldnt be responsible for what I would have done to her. The poor thing didnt know what was going on. I couldnt speak for shock, this was a well dressed, I assume well to do lady. She would have been able to go around if she was in that much of a hurry.
    I cant believe the ignorance of people, i really can't. I left theshop with all manner of quick retorts but of course could say nothing at the time. Still angry over it.

wow gogo, that's ... I'm speechless.
    However I need to tell you something from my point of view.
    it annoys me when I walk along the side walk or in the shopping mall and ladies with prams/buggys think they are queens of the floor. Im pregnant myself and I understand buggy takes space (it is just obvious) but I don't understand why they run on me with the things or expect me to move somewhere away because they are coming.
    eg. two women walking side by side on side walk. I come from opposite.. what happens? I have to walk on the road because none of them even think of letting me through. shop the same, some women bung me, run over my toes with their prams, or better they leave pram in the middle of shopping alley and go to other shelves or few meters away. How can you not get frustrated!! where are their brains?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

ani_mal wrote: »
    wow gogo, that's ... I'm speechless.
    However I need to tell you something from my point of view.
    it annoys me when I walk along the side walk or in the shopping mall and ladies with prams/buggys think they are queens of the floor. Im pregnant myself and I understand buggy takes space (it is just obvious) but I don't understand why they run on me with the things or expect me to move somewhere away because they are coming.
    eg. two women walking side by side on side walk. I come from opposite.. what happens? I have to walk on the road because none of them even think of letting me through. shop the same, some women bung me, run over my toes with their prams, or better they leave pram in the middle of shopping alley and go to other shelves or few meters away. How can you not get frustrated!! where are their brains?

i have to say in defence of some mammies with buggies .. on my morning walk there's these 2 women who walk with buggies.. one of them is empty obviously doing a playschool drop... so i'm coming in the opposite direction with my buggy and neither of these women will keep in??? wtf?? so after about 4 mornings of me going out on the road i kept to the inside of the path and bulled through... the one with the empty buggy gave me such a dirty look i was tempted to swerve into her:eek::D
    i think it's very much the person no matter what they have be it buggy car or trolley they can just be so ignorant;)

cbyrd... your story made me laugh :)
    sorry but it sounds funny however I know it might be upseting the same time.
    I don't understand why women are doing this. like they are the only one with buggy?? small brain syndrome or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭deisemum

OP people like the staff in that post office need to be reported every time they're pig ignorant to customers. If enough people report them then something will hopefully be done to deal with them.

It bothered you enough to post so can you imagine how a vunerable person ie old age pensioner would feel if treated like you were. That could be your granny, grandad etc.

Maybe the menopause is bothering her but that's no excuse anyway.

Advertisement