Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial woes

Options
  • 04-05-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well, probably not the most appropriate thread title but I couldn't come up with much better. Mid 20s, tiny amount in savings (we're talking under 2k), still got 2k of a loan to repay over the next few months, so I've just got that amount to my name and that's it (maybe that's not too uncommon? I don't know..), job security is questionable (thinking I have around 4 months left in my current role and it's only temp, I've been here a year), job prospects limited it seems as I have little experience - have a degree but that's about it. Maybe I'm not concerned financially as such but more long term. It's just sort of depressing thinking about what to do after I finish my current job..and yes I do regret not saving :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Listen don't worry about it. Trust me there plenty of people in worse position. I wish I have 10euro in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Well, probably not the most appropriate thread title but I couldn't come up with much better. Mid 20s, tiny amount in savings (we're talking under 2k), still got 2k of a loan to repay over the next few months, so I've just got that amount to my name and that's it (maybe that's not too uncommon? I don't know..), job security is questionable (thinking I have around 4 months left in my current role and it's only temp, I've been here a year), job prospects limited it seems as I have little experience - have a degree but that's about it. Maybe I'm not concerned financially as such but more long term. It's just sort of depressing thinking about what to do after I finish my current job..and yes I do regret not saving :(

At 24 years of age I was in debt to the tune £10,000 (€13,000) - and that was nearly 20 years ago.
    I had nothing.
    No job - was living at home with my folks.

I took some decisions - I relocated from dublin to another part of the country.
    Put my head down and worked hard to clear my £10,000 debt and then slowly but surely began to save whatever money I had.

Time and determination and "seeing it through" got me to a position where I saved enough for a deposit to buy a house, get married etc.

You get through life and try to make the best of things.
    It is important to try to not let the current situation cloud your judgement.
    You don't owe €13,000 - you've got a degree, you've got work experience.

Evaluate your situation : take steps to tackle the problem and follow through on those steps.
    It worked for me.
    It can work for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Your doing better then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

An awful lot of people out there have no savings and are up to their eyes in debt, sounds like you've a sensible head on you, i wouldnt worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm 38, single lost my job 8 months ago, am 4000 euro overdrawn (which is the max the bank will give me), my mortgage of 1300 euro comes out of my account in 5 days and I have no way to pay it. I surrendered my car to the leasing company 2 months ago.

And I have negative equity on my house of about 125k

What seems liek a bad situation to you isn;t considering the times we are in.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

i wish each of you the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

OP the only thing you're missing is job security, from my perspective. Well, you've got four months. Start looking now.

Best of luck.

Advertisement