Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ticket on the way?

Options
  • 04-05-2010 1:16pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Was on the way to from Limerick to Galway yesterday and had just started on the M18. Beautiful day for a nice drive.

I was going along right on the limit at 120 in the left hand lane. There was a gent doing about 110-115 so I signalled and went into the other lane to overtake. As I was doing this, a very agressive driver behind me also changed lanes. He was literally right up my arse. The gf was getting nervous so I sped up to about 130, overtook the first driver and returned to the left hand lane. It was right then that I realised there was a Garda car doing speed checks, and I'm pretty sure he was pointing at me. He didn't react to me in any other way, and didn't follow me with the gun.

So...
    1) At 130, is there a good chance I'll get a ticket?
    2) My gf reckons I go the local Garda station now and explain what happened. She fels bad about panicing (not her fault obviously). Good idea or waste of time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Was on the way to from Limerick to Galway yesterday and had just started on the M18. Beautiful day for a nice drive.

I was going along right on the limit at 120 in the left hand lane. There was a gent doing about 110-115 so I signalled and went into the other lane to overtake. As I was doing this, a very agressive driver behind me also changed lanes. He was literally right up my arse. The gf was getting nervous so I sped up to about 130, overtook the first driver and returned to the left hand lane. It was right then that I realised there was a Garda car doing speed checks, and I'm pretty sure he was pointing at me. He didn't react to me in any other way, and didn't follow me with the gun.

So...
    2) My gf reckons I go the local Garda station now and explain what happened. She fels bad about panicing (not her fault obviously). Good idea or waste of time?

If he was pointing the hairdryer at you doesnt he have to pull you in to give you a ticket AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't worry, TBH, an indicated 130 is probably only a little over the 120km/h limit. As I see it, the real moral of the story is the importance of not allowing oneself to be distracted by tailgaters. It's also important to assess what's going on behind you before committing to an overtake - in this case, it might have made more sense to let the car coming up behind you pass first and then overtake at your leisure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, TBH, an indicated 130 is probably only a little over the 120km/h limit. As I see it, the real moral of the story is the importance of not allowing oneself to be distracted by tailgaters. It's also important to assess what's going on behind you before committing to an overtake - in this case, it might have made more sense to let the car coming up behind you pass first and then overtake at your leisure.

Good advice.

The thing is, he was tailgating me for about a mile in the left lane was not showing any signs of trying to overtake me up until after I tried to overtake the guy in front of me. That's why the gf was getting panicky.

Good advice.

The thing is, he was tailgating me for about a mile in the left lane was not showing any signs of trying to overtake me up until after I tried to overtake the guy in front of me. That's why the gf was getting panicky.
    I can understand why anyone would get a bit uptight under the circumstances. This is the main danger with tailgating, it's so easy to become preoccupied with what's going on behind you that you can easily miss something important in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Some gardai allow 10% (just some that i know) so you're probably ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The hairdryer speed gun requires him to stop you and take your details. However if you have the reg of the other car you could always report him for his manner of driving. Not only might it get him a ticket but it might slow him down in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

TBH I wouldn't worry. As Anan1 one said your speedo will say you are going 130 but in reality you are going slower. Try using a GPS device/sat nav and you'll see the difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

1) I'd say there's a good chance you won't. But even still, big deal? Unless you've a string of fines and penalty points already then so what?
    2) I'd say you'll be laughed out of it to be honest! If she feels so bad she can make it up to you.. tho I doubt she'd take the points on her licence by the sounds of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Good advice.

Ignore the G/F and any other Passenger in future.
    They don't get the points for telling/suggesting what you should do.

If someone is tailgating me I just slow down and keep slowing down until they pass.

If someone is tailgating me I just slow down and keep slowing down until they pass.
    I hardly think that good advice in the OP's case - they were in the middle of an overtake on a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I hardly think that good advice in the OP's case - they were in the middle of an overtake on a motorway.

I think Keith was referring to the situation before the overtake manouver. It's perfectly good advice. I do th same. I cannot understand why people tailgate on a big open 2 lane motorway, it's crazy. I too gradually slow down until they eventually get the hint and overtake.

You won't get any ticket in the post for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dnme wrote: »
    I think Keith was referring to the situation before the overtake manouver. It's perfectly good advice. I do th same. I cannot understand why people tailgate on a big open 2 lane motorway, it's crazy. I too gradually slow down until they eventually get the hint and overtake.

Yup,

I wouldn't slow down when overtaking, but wouldn't boot it either.

People that do that are usually 'forcing' the car in front to act as a shield for speed cameras.

Basically just keep the speed with the other traffic and if some fool is driving up your arse slow down rather than speed up to make your point.

When in the overtaking lane and someone driving up my ar*se i'll wait until theres a gap I can move into without having to drastically adjust my speed. IMO thats just dangerous as the guy your overtaking could be looking at the sky or whatever.

Yup,

I wouldn't slow down when overtaking, but wouldn't boot it either.

People that do that are usually 'forcing' the car in front to act as a shield for speed cameras.

Basically just keep the speed with the other traffic and if some fool is driving up your arse slow down rather than speed up to make your point.

When in the overtaking lane and someone driving up my ar*se i'll wait until theres a gap I can move into without having to drastically adjust my speed. IMO thats just dangerous as the guy your overtaking could be looking at the sky or whatever.
    All true, i'd slow down myself on a single-lane carriageway, just not in the middle of a motorway overtake.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The bit about ignore the g/f is definitley bad advice anyway:D

Advertisement