Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Outboard Engine

Options
  • 04-05-2010 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on outboard engines. I'm looking to buy a present of one for my dad as his last one was stolen. He generally fishes the may fly on lough corrib so it's for a small fishing boat. His last engine was a 9.9 mercury and before that he had an evinruud 7 I think.

I was hoping to find out what is the best type of engine - have had yamaha and Honda recommended - and also if there is a lighter weight option on the market as I think he'll be hoping to bring it in and out with him (once bitten and all that!)

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have a honda 8hp (four stroke as its a honda). It can be tricky to start, you need the knack, but once its running its a lovely motor. Very easy on juice too. You're going to have to decide if you want 2 or 4 stroke. 2 Stroke are generally cheaper and lighter but use more petrol and need lubricating oil mixed into the petrol. Although some 'autolube' engines will mix this into the petrol for you.

Yamaha's are the best outboards about and by far the best 2 strokes, but they are expensive to buy and maintain.

Suzuki's and Tohatsu's are good as well. I wouldn't touch anything else to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd 2nd a Honda Four Stroke, very light on fuel and very reliable. No hassle either with mixing oil through the petrol which is a pain. The four stroke burns much less fuel than the 2 strokes and is the way to go. Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury or Evinrude I would also go with. For dealer network the best seem to be Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki.

Tohatsu do a diesel engine which might be another option but I think 15hp is the smallest you can get and it's likely a heavy lump of an engine to be hauling around.

If he is fishing on a lake his boat will likely not have much draught and so a short shaft engine would be best suited, the long shaft engines are slightly more expensive to purchase.

Advertisement