Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning and painting decking area

Options
  • 04-05-2010 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all,

I put decking down a year ago and am painting it now for the first time. I probably should have done it before now but the guy that laid it told me to give it 6 or 8 months before painting it, and I've been putting it on the long finger as well. Anyway I got decking cleaner from Aldi and cleaned it yesterday, but there's still some slight green patches left on the wood. Also I'm unsure what to paint it with, I read somewhere that decking oil is best. Any that I've looked at is pretty expensive though. So some questions:

- Is decking oil the way to go as opposed to decking stain?
    - If so can anyone recommend a good and preferably cheap brand of decking oil and where to get it?
    - Does decking oil have a colour in it or is it clear... does it need a stain or colour applied after?
    - Is it any harm to paint decking even if there's still some slight green residue after cleaning?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Some decking oil comes with a stain, I use the Ronseal Natural Cedar, once you've given it a good clean and the green specks aren't loose material, it should be fine. I find a walpaper size brush the best applicator (plus it's cheap ;)

HTH

Advertisement