Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Keep a dog occupied while im out

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering does anyone have any bright ideas to keep a Collie occupied while im out and about, He is never on his own for too long but during the week he might be on his own for up to four hours or so,

I do feel sorry for him on his own in case he is bored or that and was wondering does anyone have any ideas for things I could make or give him to keep him busy.

I was thinking of making him some kind of frame with features to jump on and run through and that but he will hardly use it on his own will he??

He is happy I think because he never stops wagging his tail but I still feel like he might be bored,

I have tried filling Kongs with food etc but he solves them in two minutes and even frozen about ten minutes so that’s not a huge amount of good,

Any other ideas from anyone,

Thanks,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Hey Ste2006,
    I have the same problem, have 2 dogs who are alone for a couple of hours a day... what I do is get a big bowl, put in loads of dog nuts, meat, sausage, ham etc, fill with water and put in the freezer... they spend hours (well 1 or 2 anyway) licking it and trying to get the meat out :-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Bearpup wrote: »
    Hey Ste2006,
    I have the same problem, have 2 dogs who are alone for a couple of hours a day... what I do is get a big bowl, put in loads of dog nuts, meat, sausage, ham etc, fill with water and put in the freezer... they spend hours (well 1 or 2 anyway) licking it and trying to get the meat out :-)

Excellent idea!

I have a 7month old rottie and a 2 year old shih tzu who i may try this with!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can get various toys like Buster Cubes that take more solving than a normal Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

I like the bowl in the freezer idea :-) ,

Ill have a look at the buster cube and see what they are like,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Tire him out with a long walk or play session before you leave him. 4 hours isn't that long!

• Advertisement

I do walk him every morning but i still feel bad for him

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

a good walk before you leave is perfect, your dog will more than likely snooze until your back.

Yes he does like to sleep and he yawns a lot also but i feel he should be doing something,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

From his point of view he's doing something very important; sleeping!

Really; walk him then give him a chew of some description when you go out and he'll be so busy between eating and sleeping that he'll hardly notice you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Steve I think your anthropomorphising your dog;)!! Dont forget that your dog needs lots and lots of sleep, more than you do so that 4hr nap is vital so your dog will me ready to play with you when your home! Chances are i you get your dog toys he'll just ignore them and end up sleeping anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gone With The W

there is a toy called the dog pyramid. its filled with treats or nuts and it can take up to 6 hours for them to empty it. i tried it on an Irish wolfhound pup who was stuck in everything. It brought peace and some sanity back into the house
    :p

ye I am probably too worried about him, Ill look at the dog pyramid and see what thats like,

Thanks again for all the advice

Advertisement