Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

black paint scratch remover

Options
  • 03-05-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi all whats the best stuff on the market to get for scratch marks etc on a black colour car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Meguiars scratch x 2.0 is decent applying by hand but it's going to be hard work. You would need to follow on with a sealant or wax after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

i've noticed a bit of rust on my car:eek:Am freaking out especially as i live by the sea... How am i gonna take careof that?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

buy a boat lol
    scratch x is good but it will take ages and plenty of patience
    depending on depth it should do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

buy a boat lol
    scratch x is good but it will take ages and plenty of patience
    depending on depth it should do the trick
    lol already have one of those around! need something to get around our wonderful country roads:D its only on the edge of the front of the bonnet really dont want it to spread any further:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Never had to deal with rust before but afaik
    you get the rust off sand it down
    use some sort of putty/filler
    paint and lacquer it

Not 100% but it's some where along the lines of that
    the putty\filler you can get in any motor factors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

dealing with surface rust is easy enough but a bit long winded and takes time, the finish you get will be directly related to how long you take to get it.

The first stage is to remove any flaky paint anf rusty bits feather paint around the rust out to good shiny metal using finer grades of wet and dry sand paper. use plenty of water with the paper and i find soap in the water helps.

Then use a rust killer apply to the rust pits follow the instructions.
    You then need an etch primer to stabilise the bare metal you exposed this stops it rusting too.
    Next apply a skim of filler over the rust area as it will be pitted. Again use wet and dry paper to sand all this smooth using progressivly finer grades.
    You can now use a off the shelf spray primer to spray over the area.
    Allow about 15 minutes between coats to allow the primer to " flash off " which is letting the solvents gas off.
    Go to a motor factors and buy a can of custom aerosol paint I use Vinny Byrnes but halfords to this too.
    Spray the colour coat again allowing flash off time between coats, about 3 or 4 coats.
    again rub this paint finish with very fine wet and dry untill smooth, it will go a bit dull don't worry.
    Almost there, now get a can of clear coat or lacquer and spray 4 or 5 coats again allowing flash off time.
    Finally allow the lacquer to dry for about a week then rub down with very fine wet and dry and then polish.
    This is a very simplistic description of a pretty involved process, everything must be kept clean and use a degreaser to keep the panel clean between steps.
    The overall cost of all the materials involved are about a 100 euros and I have succesfully sprayed single wings and panels this way. the custom paint should give you a flawless match and is well worth the extra cost.
    With time and patience a pretty professional diy finish is possible.
    However it takes time and effort.
    If you are doing a full panel, a paint shop may only charge you about 200 Euros so it may not be worth it to it do yourself plus they can bake the paint off and do the job quickly, as the diy job takes a while, as I would leave a week between sanding the colour coat and the same for the lacquer coat. so 2 weeks of driving your car with an odd colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it all depends on how deep the scratch

but for light surface scratchs i find color magic to be an excellent product

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

buy a boat lol

LOL :D

Advertisement