Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats this outlet pipe for???

• 03-05-2010 8:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of this white outlet pipe on the side of my house.

I only noticed it this evening,its comming from the main black pipe from the bathroom but havent a clue what its for??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of this white outlet pipe on the side of my house.

I only noticed it this evening,its comming from the main black pipe from the bathroom but havent a clue what its for??

that to me looks like an overflow from the tank in your attic
    dont touch it
    if your ballcork gets stuck and the tank treaten to overfill, which would ruin the house, this pipe takes away the water from home

Bath/shower or sink waste pipe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dont worry,Im not going to go near it,Im just wondering whats its actually for?:confused:

Its the white pipe that goes halfway up the side wall of the house that want to know about..

The other white pipes are from my shower,bath and sinks.That much I do know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It is 1 1/2 abs pipe. At the top of this pipe an air admittance valve is fitted. This allows air into the sewer system and maintains apressure equilibrium. It does not allow air out.

Normally fitted where an open vent pipe is not permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Dont worry,Im not going to go near it,Im just wondering whats its actually for?:confused:

Its the white pipe that goes halfway up the side wall of the house that want to know about..

The other white pipes are from my shower,bath and sinks.That much I do know.

Thanks.
    that is the very one i was speaking of
    it is going right up, it is painted grey half the way up
    now i bet inside that wall is the water tank that supply the home
    another thing it can be
    it would be there with top open, to release any gasses from pipes as gas can build up, so here is where it would release outside,

• Advertisement

It is 1 1/2 abs pipe. At the top of this pipe an air admittance valve is fitted. This allows air into the sewer system and maintains apressure equilibrium. It does not allow air out.

Normally fitted where an open vent pipe is not permitted.

Thanks for that.

There is like a small vent bit on the top of it allright.The pipe goes half way up the wall and then just stops.

I was confused as to what the hell it was for.:confused:

goat2 wrote: »
    that is the very one i was speaking of
    it is going right up, it is painted grey half the way up
    now i bet inside that wall is the water tank that supply the home

The water tank in is the attic in a different part of the house.

The other side of that wall and pipe is bathroom and ensuite.

The pipe just stops half way up the wall,it has a little vent thing on the top of it,so I rekon that Mickey is right in the 1st place with regards venting thingy.

At least I know what it is now.

Thanks.

Advertisement