Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve the keyboard - HTC Desire???

Options
  • 03-05-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, bought a Desire about 2 weeks ago (whenever Meteor launched it) and I loves it. Except the keyboard. The stock keyboard is not great, too small & filddly, constantly getting letters wrong or ending up in the settings menu (etc.)

I was wondering if there is a way to get a better keyboard for Android. I have an ipod touch, I can type waaaayyyy faster & more accurately on that than I can on my phone...

I have tried thickbuttons, I don't like the way it changes the key sizes (i know that's the point, but it's distracting) and a quick google search brings a thing called BetterKeyboard, which you have to buy...

Anything out there that can help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

I'm trying out SlideIT at the moment and I like it so far. Here's a demo on youtube:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Baza210 wrote: »

installed aaaand nothing... no app button or anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I think you need to hold over a text box until 'input method' pops up, then select it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

you need to sign up to the swype beta to get a working download - its pretty cool but I'm back using the stock htc one on the desire.

here is a mod of that from xda which adds some more features (such as a smiley key!) and some bug fixes http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=663608 I'm gonna intall that this evening - was working nicely on my liquid :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

00sully wrote: »
    you need to sign up to the swype beta to get a working download

Nah, swype apk, seek and ye shall find.

In fact, they're giving it out on XDA.

I like the HTC IME mod but it crashes every now and then.

I'd like to see voice control on the swype keyboard but other than that, I really like the interface. Much quicker than regular typing, especially in portrait mode.

00sully wrote: »
    you need to sign up to the swype beta to get a working download
    Link in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

djgaillimh wrote: »
    Nah, swype apk, seek and ye shall find.

In fact, they're giving it out on XDA.

I like the HTC IME mod but it crashes every now and then.

I'd like to see voice control on the swype keyboard but other than that, I really like the interface. Much quicker than regular typing, especially in portrait mode.

HTC IME mod and swype are both so good I wish someone could combine them somehow. Very useful for me to have a full set of locales and such fine of controls as you have in the HTC IME mod. Maybe the release version of swype will eventually be modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

yeah a combo of both would be class alright - I would have thought HTC would have been all over that - great idea :D Never realised swype was anything other than a signed up beta - cheers for the linkage Baza!

I wish you could auto switch to swype when in portrait mode and back to HTC in landscape that'd be sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

I've used SwipeIT, Shapewriter and the stock keyboard and find Swype to be the best of them all!!

Swype FTW, thanks a million for the link ;o)

Go Team!

• Advertisement

Swype has loads of sweet little tricks, make sure you watch all their tutorial videos - http://www.swypeinc.com/tips-tricks.html

I kept getting to that number keypad by accident but couldn't figure out how to get there quickly, but it's all there in the videos.

Advertisement