Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C4 Van vs. Focus Van

Options
  • 03-05-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting myself a carvan...I'm not amazingly rich so I'm having to look at the 5-10 year old ones. I'm currently working on a budget of around 3k.

The Citroen C4 1.6 HDI (2004 or so) is affordable (barely) and seems to tick all my boxes of looking nice, economic, not intolerably slow, and plenty of room. together with the amount of standard kit it has, it seems to be the one thats doing it the most for me.

However, the Focus vans (02-04) are the same on paper, tick all my boxes, have slightly less standard kit, but make up for it by apparently being a bit more reliable.

Anyone have any advice for me on which is the better option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

The C4 is common rail so the usual dpf problems apply. The focus is old school diesel and all the better for it imo reliability wise and a decent drive for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be inclined towards the Focus for the reasons EPM mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

C4 is more modern looking and has cruise control..

Which is the best car van, almera, golf, focus, corolla, 307, auris, megane? Have I missed any?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3k budget rules out a good few of the ones listed

From my limited van experience:

Almera:
    Pros: 2.2 engine, nice gearbox, good equipment.
    Cons: low driving position, no ABS

Golf:
    pros: good choice of engines and bhp outputs, right-on image
    cons: expensive

Corolla:
    pros: nippy 2.0 D-4D engine, solid build, decent to drive
    cons: expensive, DMF and injector worries.

307:
    pros: cheap, well equipped
    cons: it's a 307

Auris:
    pros: safe, high driving position
    cons: 1.4 D-4D only, rare and expensive

Megane:
    pros: safe, well equipped
    cons: they're rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, if you could increase your budget I would go for something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Grande-Punto/1.3-Mult/201015197633648/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What do you make of the Auris, I've been offered a 07 for 7,500. I'm a little worried about Such a small engine.

Which Is the best for overtaking, Almera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

If the C4 approaches the quality of the Berlingo, I'd go for the C4, it has been a reliable workhorse and easy to maintain whereas I've found Fords to have a shorter shelf-life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, if you could increase your budget I would go for something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Grande-Punto/1.3-Mult/201015197633648/advert?channel=CARS

wouldn't do anything for me really. ive had three puntos (mk2 admittedly) and they werent anything approaching good. ive driven the 1.3 diesel grande punto, and found it dog slow. also, question marks over its reliability. it really is a tossup between the focus and c4 now. i prefer the c4, but its reliability is a concern.

thanks for the suggestion though!

Advertisement