Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 gone Black and White.

Options
  • 03-05-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have a dual boot Windows 7 machine. For some reason one of the boots windows 7 has gone black and white.

For some reason the log in screen is in colour, then when logged in it switches to black and white?

Any body seen this before?

Messed around in display options but couldn't find anything.

The other windows boot is in colour, so it must not be a graphics card problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 comsdev123

hi,

i think your graphic driver has problem, first try to uninstall it then install it again. some files are missing or corrupted i think

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

swigtch to windows 7 basic (turn of Aero) and get uptodate drivers for GC, also ild make sure of basics like cable being in ok and no pins bent out on cable etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Adren wrote: »
    I have a dual boot Windows 7 machine. For some reason one of the boots windows 7 has gone black and white.

For some reason the log in screen is in colour, then when logged in it switches to black and white?

Any body seen this before?

Messed around in display options but couldn't find anything.

The other windows boot is in colour, so it must not be a graphics card problem.

Thanks.

Does this happen only in windows screens, or do all open apps display in B&W also? Can you try playing a video or a game or something and see if they are also in B&W?

What gfx card is installed in the system? What driver version?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

do you mean that you have 2 win7 installs on the same machine?

If this is the case I would think its unlikely to be the hardware of the graphics card, this would then affect both installs, thus limiting to either the driver installed on the affected win7 install or the display properties for that install..

on a side... I remember using a win3 machine and accidentally setting the foreground AND background both to black....aaarrrggg!! PC was effectively a pile of scrap after that, and thats back when PCs were expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

there is a high contrast black and white theme in the personalization menus in windows 7 ?? Was it turned on by mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Adren

Its strange, for the first few seconds when the Windows 7 login first appears, its black and white. Then the login screen becomes normal, as in its in perfect colour. Then after logging in, it remains in perfect normal colour, as in my desktop is normal, the start button etc, then after a few seconds back to black and white.

Its very strange all together..

Any ideas?

High contrast not set, the drivers for my Nvidia card are the exact same as the other windows 7 install :/

Many thanks.

I un-installed the Nvidia driver, and windows 7 installed the Standard VGA driver. The resolution was terrible but colour was back.

I then went to the nvidia site, downloaded the latest driver for my card, restarted, login screen was in colour, then after a few seconds pop, back to GREYSCALE!!

What is going on :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭measurement

Can you try going to the 'change theme' option and switch between themes, to see if that helps? (a bit unlikely, but you never know).
    I've found that the windows updates are inclined to make slight changes to my screen, like changing the icon size on the desktop (very annoying). I use the right-click on the desktop more with this op system than with XP or earlier. Also, the screen refresh is very long - when I empty the recycle bin, it doesn't change, but will do so later. wierd.

Nope changing theme does nothing, there all grey-scale, black and white. I'm looking at a re-install at this stage.

Perhaps a Windows 32bit instead of 64bit? Even though I have a core 2 duo?

I'm using this second OS as a Music Production OS, so I'm guessing that the 64bit advantage wouldn't be that much?

Just after thinking there though, I have 4gbs of ram, I forget, does windows XP 32bit applications utilise the full 4gbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Adren wrote: »
    Nope changing theme does nothing, there all grey-scale, black and white. I'm looking at a re-install at this stage.

Perhaps a Windows 32bit instead of 64bit? Even though I have a core 2 duo?

I'm using this second OS as a Music Production OS, so I'm guessing that the 64bit advantage wouldn't be that much?

Just after thinking there though, I have 4gbs of ram, I forget, does windows XP 32bit applications utilise the full 4gbs?

3.25GB

• Advertisement

Hmm.. I dunno what to do iso.

Such a bizarre problem.

Might try older or third party video drivers.

Got it sorted!

Used HD cleaner pro on the Nvidia drivers, and installed newest ones..

All good!

Thanks people.

Advertisement