Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCAM vs Engineering - help!

Options
  • 03-05-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'm a 6th year student, and I've put down PCAM in TCD and Engineering in NUIG on my CAO. The thing is, I'm not sure which course suits me best... I'm studying Physics, Chemistry and Applied Maths at the moment, so I should be able to handle either course, but I'm really interested in both subject areas! In the future I'd like to pursue applied sciences - technology, R&D, maybe university research, that sort of thing. PCAM is my number 1 choice, and I could easily see myself doing an undergrad in engineering after I graduate anyway, because I think they would combine together well.

Can any current students tell me a little bit about your experiences in the courses? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Old thread may help you out a little; http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561276

I'd email someone in charge to ask about this but apparently PCAM's changing to Nanoscience in a few years. I'm unsure as to whether that will change the course structure at all but it may influence your decision a bit.

I'm in general science and PCAM essentially follow physics, maths and chemistry from my course for two years with their own tutorials every so often. A few physics people post here so maybe they'll give their opinions on that aspect of the course. Chemistry is handy enough and maths is doable if you're good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'm in with first year PCAM for all bar one extra tutorial they have and I can switch over to PCAM hassle free at anytime I think.

With consistent work the course is very doable, and the nanoscience side of things is very very interesting and that's just form my casual interest in it.

From what it sounds like, PCAM is made for you tbh, or even if you wanted go for General Entry Science as well as you can interchange at any stage in the first two years between the two courses as long as you're doing the same subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I was choosing between those two back in the day (a whole 2 years ago now :eek:) and I went with Engineering in the end.

I don't want to give the impression that scientists are in a world of their own, but what won it for me was the real world applications of Engineering. There's a notable focus throughout the course in producing actual products that will sell and make money, or designs that innovate and make everyone's life easier, or just plain stuff that works how you want it to. The reality is a lot of these innovations hinge on work done by the scientists, so I guess the decision might come down to;

a. Do you want to get into the real nitty gritty and understand a whole load of physics so that you can produce groundbreaking materials and pioneer technologies that could have multitudes of applications?

or

b. Do you want to get out there and look at a problem and say "How can I solve that?" or think "See that car, how can I make that better, but still economical?" or my current favorite "What the funk are we gonna do when the oil runs out and we're all being cooked by the cows farting in the fields and charging my stupid funking iPad a few times costs more than the stupid thing itself?" (Slight exaggeration, possibly)

Maybe I've simplified it too much, and my opinion is obviously somewhat one sided, but there's my two cents anywho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PCAM is run by the school of Chemistry right? So if you like chemistry over the others, then it's a good option to pick as the education you'll get in 3rd/4th year will be somewhat more from a physical chemistry point of view. The school of chemistry places a lot of emphasis on physical chemistry both in terms of number of academics in that field and in distribution of credits and the likes.

If you're interested in R&D, the PCAM course would probably be better suited. Having said that, I'm told by various people in TCD engineering that it's more suited to academic/research pursuits after graduation than other engineering courses around Ireland which are more grounded in applications. This is anecdotal but I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary in all the times I've heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ledgearooni

I'm a PCAM grad, firstly its run through the school of chemistry because it goes on a three yr cycle of ownership between the two schools, physics and chem. Changing to nanoscience will mean no difference, it used to be called materials science when Prof kelly started it up (~12 yrs ago).

It is a great degree, you do standard science for first two years with some extra materials based modules. Third yr you are essentially a physical chemist doing solid state physics, which is great. No organic or no astro!

As a PCAM'er you are attractive to staff here regarding post grad positions. Lots of people have typical physics or chemistry characteristics whereas you will have neither (or both!).

Do which ever you prefer, engineers will always be needed and the future for science in ireland isn't that rosey so do which ever interests you more and enjoy your college years!

• Advertisement
Advertisement