Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAME help

Options
  • 03-05-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I have a few questions about getting mame running. I've had it running before, but I downloaded the latest version and none of the roms work. Is it ok to talk about mame here? Copywrite and all. Just before I continue...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Yes its fine aslong dont ask for places to get them or links to any places to them,anyways down to business-

If mame is not finding any of the game roms present,go into the directory settings in mame and find the folder your mame roms are in,then select scan for roms,should find them then.

some roms are just dodgy so try another revision of that certain game rom,some versions of mame dont work on certain roms,so its a trial and error,so maybe go for an older version of mame.

Some roms need extra bios i.e like neo geo bios roms for snk games,they can be found on a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Cool. Ok

So here the thang. I've had mame running before, a couple of years ago. I was running MameUI (or mame32 as it was then called) and it was grand. Roms worked etc.

I deleted most of that stuff ages ago to free up space. I downloaded the latest version of mame and mameUI, and then grabbed a couple of roms. I did like you said and the roms still aren't showing up. I tried EasyMame and when it scanned the roms, they all came up as bad. So I did a little search and found a program called clrmame, or clrmame pro. This is meant to update the roms to the latest version based on what version of mame you have running. Or something. So I followed the instructions and now when I run a rom they all come up with an eroor message saying that they are missing a rom file or chd file. I'm not running any NeoGeo roms, nor am I running any roms that require a disk image (chd). the roms I was trying were Ghouls n Ghosts, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and Street Fighter II The World Warrior, all from two well known rom sites.

I just have no idea what's going on.

I tried older versions of Mame, but the roms still aren't showing up. I'm at a loss and would appreciate any help at all.

chd would be required for games like killer instinct,massive files size they are.
    like i said try a different rom revision of same game*ie some would have usa,japan,world written beside them*,are some dodgy rips,put your mame vesion into search and see find support there,im still run old mames.

Yeah, I've tried different versions of the roms too. I understand that with new versions of mame it's necessary to update the romset too. clrmame is supposed to do this, but it's not working...

Basically, Id appreciate a step by step guide to setting it up if possible. Like I say, i've had it running before, and don't remember it being this difficult!

• Advertisement

i use mame plus program myself

http://mame-plus.en.softonic.com/

I shall give that a go...

best of luck,then when have it installed and run,go to options-->directory--->browse--->go to the folder your game roms are in-->select ok then--->scan for roms,hopefully should work :(

Where is the option to scan for roms?

EDIT: got it, audit...

Ok, it's saying all the roms are bad. It says 'NOT FOUND (shared with parent)'

try running a game,sometimes they run fine.

• Advertisement

any luck?

No. It says NOT FOUND (shared with parent). All the roms are bad apparently.

I've no idea why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The roms are most likely older than the executable, and will require clrmamepro to update them. Clrmamepro is fairly easy to use, can you describe for us how you set it up, what scan parameters your using etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

IIRC, the ROMs underwent a huge renaming spree a while back, so you might get few of them working if you use ClrMAME to fix the names. I imagine there was a huge amount of bad ROMs fixed as well, so if even one of the ROMs in a zip file has the wrong crc, the game won't run.

Looking at the games you listed, you may be better off getting Callus and seeking a Callus ROM set. In fact, just get the emulator initially, and see if the games you downloaded work straight off with it. Last version was 0.42, IIRC.

Thanks guys. I'll give this a try tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

I'll describe that for you tomorrow too EnterNow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If you dont want to audit your roms use an older build .127 or less I think

I tried callus, to no avail. But, huzzah! I tried Mame 0.126b and it works. Thanks all. There goes the summer...

Advertisement