Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 323 2.0 diesel - opinions???

Options
  • 03-05-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Lads whats the story with the 323 diesel's? Its difficult to get reviews about them. Are they any good?
    Any advice appreciated from those who have owned one or know anyone who owns one.
    I know the tax is quite high but they're meant to get excellent fuel economy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Stay away from the diesel. They have a habit of seizing due to a failed oil pump. Great car other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

SARASON wrote: »
    Stay away from the diesel. They have a habit of seizing due to a failed oil pump. Great car other than that.

Thanks for the response. Have you owned one in the past? Who's car did this happen to?

btw im referring to a 2001 mazda 323 d.

A mate had one the turbo blew as well. He has a 05 1.6 petrol now and no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Are the same problems occuring in the 626 diesel ?

DF1 wrote: »
    Are the same problems occuring in the 626 diesel ?

Yes but im told that regular oil change using good oil prevents a lot of the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

The problem was with the 626 I thought, big end bearing ??
    Anyway, Galway TT had one give up the ghost on him. I don't know if the 323 was the same lump.
    I would avoid like the plague until I found out for sure if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cadaliac wrote: »
    The problem was with the 626 I thought, big end bearing ??
    Anyway, Galway TT had one give up the ghost on him. I don't know if the 323 was the same lump.
    I would avoid like the plague until I found out for sure if I were you.

LOL, did someone mention my name ?? :D

OP - have a look, here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055621785&highlight=mazda

Sorry to rain on your parade.........

A petrol one, I'd buy all day, but not a diesel.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The engine is fine. All of the information above is based on the premise that the engine in the 323 and the 626 is the same as that in the 6 which if you do any research is not the case. We had a 6 with premature big end wear so I know what I'm talking about. I've done my homework on these cars. The 2.0D is dodgy but it is not the same engine as the one in the aforementioned cars and thus does not give the same problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

coolbeans wrote: »
    .... We had a 6 with premature big end wear so I know what I'm talking about. .

...I don't doubt it for a minute, but I'd argue your car didn't even get old enough to have 'premature' b/end wear ! What did you define as 'premature', btw........?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I'm not a diesel head at all but I thought the same thing - that some people were confuddling a 323 (19xx-2004) with a 3(04on) and a 626 (19xx-2002) with a 6(02 on). The 3 and the 6 are a big jump on from the previous 323 and 626 and I'd say there's very little in common apart from a Mazda badge!

This wiki link indicates different engines (common rail etc) from 02 on for the 6.

The engines in the 323 and the 626 would be old style turbo diesels.
    Can't comment on the diesels reliability wise, but they would be low tech compared to the newer engines. They might be hard to get parts for at this stage tho, petrol would have been a lot more popular in the later 323s and 626s, although I can remember plenty of early 90's 323s with the offset bonnet scoop for the TD intercooler, and plenty of oul farmers trundling around in the same vintage 626s.

Not saying that everyone was mixing them up, but I reckon some were....
    "Are the same problems occurring in the 626?"
    As most 626s have more than 10years/120k miles on them, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the owners were starting to see some issues!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

My parent's have a 626 diesel, with nearly 200k miles on it, with no mechanical problems at all.

I change the oil and all of that every 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

There is nothing wrong with the diesel 323 and 626, if would be nice if people giving the OP 'advice' would post factual stuff and stop putting him off a car because a car with a completely unrelated engine is about as reliable as the square wheel.

Sorry for my slight rant but I'm amazed that only one poster so far seems to have copped the fact that the car the OP is interested in is not a Mazda 6 diesel.

Lads, the Mazda 6(and 5 and 2.0 3) diesel is completely different to the diesel in the Mazda 323(and 626), 323/626 diesels are old school non common rail diesels and are every bit as reliable as Mazda's reputation suggests.

The 6 diesel is a complete heap, and is every bit as bad as has been alluded to but please don't tar the other diesel Mazdas with the same brush, especially the old ones with no technology in them:)!

Advertisement