Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overcoming Bulimia - Practical Advice

Options
  • 03-05-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been bulimic for about 12 years since my mid-teens. It's affected and controlled my whole life throughout that time and I've finally decided that I want to make the first steps towards recovery.

The biggest barrier facing me now is my profession: I do not want anyone in my work place to know about this. I can just about deal with the fact that I will probably have to share this with my family and partner, but I simply will not share this with my workplace. Which would be simple enough I suppose if I wouldn't need to take time out to visit GP's or counsellors.

Can anyone who has started the process or even fully recovered advise me on this please?

1. Are any of the services available out of hours? (I'm in Limerick btw)
    2. How often would I have to visit a counsellor or GP? (weekly, monthly, fortnightly) I'm thinking if they weren't too frequent I could use hols and come up with excuses.
    3. Did you end up having to tell your workplace?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I have been bulimic for about 12 years since my mid-teens. It's affected and controlled my whole life throughout that time and I've finally decided that I want to make the first steps towards recovery.

The biggest barrier facing me now is my profession: I do not want anyone in my work place to know about this. I can just about deal with the fact that I will probably have to share this with my family and partner, but I simply will not share this with my workplace. Which would be simple enough I suppose if I wouldn't need to take time out to visit GP's or counsellors.

Can anyone who has started the process or even fully recovered advise me on this please?

1. Are any of the services available out of hours? (I'm in Limerick btw)
    2. How often would I have to visit a counsellor or GP? (weekly, monthly, fortnightly) I'm thinking if they weren't too frequent I could use hols and come up with excuses.
    3. Did you end up having to tell your workplace?

For most counselling you would generally go once a week. If you decide to see a counsellor privately, it would be likely that you could easily find a therapist who could offer a session in evenings/weekends. However, if you're to go for public services I'm not sure if this would be the case.

If you do need to go during work hours, can you arrange time off from your hols for "personal matters" or tell your employer that you are having a medical issue that you need to attend to and will need to take time off, hopefully they will facilitate it. You are under no obligation to tell them what the medical issue is.

A great organisation that might be able to help or give you more information is http://www.bodywhys.ie

Best of luck OP, I hope you get sorted with some help soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm sorry to hear you've been going through this for 12 years OP. I've been bulimic for a year, I can't imagine how you've coped so long.

In regards to counselling, one of the counsellors I went to see DID work outside of office hours. I'd imagine quite a few do, though my other two worked office hours.

I wish you the best of luck with telling your loved ones, and I hope you can find recovery.

Advertisement