Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote CCTV

Options
  • 03-05-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've been asked to set up a remote cctv system.(so cctv cameras can be accessed with any laptop with a broadband connection) The CCTV cameras are already installed. I have never done this before and was wondering if anyone knows what is required in order to do this and how to set it up? I know you need a DVR and that there are issues with static and dynamic ip addresses. I have little details regarding what software will be used,etc.. I will know more in a couple of days. Just a guide on how the system works would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

What usually happens is that users try to connect to a web interface for the DVR - so what usually happens is you portforward port 80 from the router to the DVR's internal IP address.

Regarding static & dynamic IP addresses - the handiest thing to do is use dyndns.org, which gives you a domain name such as premisesbeingmonitored.dyndns.org, and you configure the internet router to update dyndns.org with it's IP address each time it gets a new IP assigned.

Post back when you've more details - what router, what DVR etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Idealy you need a static IP, so business broadband is the most relible option. then you need to download or obtain the Software viewing client that came with the DVR. Then look up what ports the DVR requires, probably port 80 on TCP or UDP, then you need to set up a very detailed password and user name on the DVR. Finally log into your router and set up a NAT and forward the required ports to the DVR. Oh also the DVR needs n internal static IP. So forward the open ports to that IP and then test on an external broadband connection. Before you go external test it on the internal network first. this will let you know if the laptop is compatible.

Most DVR's offer viewing clients but most DVR's are cheap pieces of rubbish made in China for very cheap. so be aware that you may have options with it working on Vista or windows 7 and if that is the case unless its a good manufacturer there may not be new software available.

So easy peasy!!!! Now people may understand why IT/Security people charge what we do as it can be a little tricky to set these up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Have to agree that static IP is the way to go for a business. I've used dynamic IP with dyndns.com at home and it worked well for years. The trouble with it is that there are more people to blame when it goes wrong. If your remote CCTV is for a client who is paying someone to keep it up, (or will be bugging you for free support when it stops working) go static. If it is a homer (and you and your client are prepared to learn the extra 'ropes') dynamic will be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Thanks for the quick replys guys. Still waiting on more info, will post again when I know more. Thanks again for the tips

Advertisement