Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quit the drink-friends stag dilemma

Options
  • 03-05-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been off the drink for the past month and I have decided to quit drinking cold turkey forever however my friends stag is on in 2 months and I am not sure what im going to do, he is a good friend from college and im afraid he wont understand if I am not drinking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I don't understand why people are so bothered by what their friends think when they are giving up drink. Alcohol is not good for you. Good for you on giving it up.

Just tell your friend you're no longer drinking. If your friend is an idiot, he'll have a problem with it, otherwise he won't.

If your friend is an idiot, then just tell him you're on antibiotics so can't drink and that'll get you out of it. But jees, just tell him you're not drinking and let him get over it. It's no big deal like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I wouldn't worry too much about not drinking at the stag do.
    If he is a good enough friend, he will understand.

I would advise you to go places where people are drinking before you go on the stag do though,
    as you don't want the whole experience to be completely alien to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

TBH, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I reckon that you really want to drink and are looking for some excuse to pin it on.

Either you drink or you don't make up your mind, but don't make up excuses like my friends wont understand, that is just childish.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have you stopped drinking because you had alcohol abuse problems? And if so how comfortable a place are you in about your sobriety? You need to be honest with yourself if you are trying to protect yourself from addiction. The stag night might just not be a good environment for you at this early point. Stag nights tend to be very alcohol fuelled and (if your drinking is a problem) you need to be "selfish" and put your recovery ahead of social occasions, even important ones. Any real friend will understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I went "cold turkey" before for a few months. Then I went on the tear one night and because I hadn't drank in so long I was an absolute mess. I'm not exaggerating.. I got thrown out of a nightclub and had a memory blank & nearly got arrested for my own safety (thankfully the guards just took me to the barracks and didn't even caution me.)

There's also the aspect of "falling off the wagon" .. e.g. a bank holiday comes up, and that's a special occasion.. or a friend you haven't seen in a long time asks you to the pub..

Long story short... you either go cold turkey or you don't! A few drinks wouldn't do any harm but if during the stag night you have the ingenious idea of getting merry you probably won't be fit for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I agree with the person who said you are making a mountain out of a molehill, I've recently given up drinking myself. I didn't have dependency issues or anything but was sick of wasting away half my weekends with hangovers. It's all to easy to come up with an excuse, I was tempted myself at times, but seriously, what possible reason could your friend have for being put out about this???

If for some reason you do think he will be upset, or you think there will be a lot of pressure on you, just use the old antibiotics excuse, tell them you've been ill and are on meds so you can't drink. Simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

He'll prob be more concerned about enjoying his stag.

That said, a lot of Irish people have serious hang-ups about other's not drinking.

Since its his stag maybe the best option is that you're on anti-biotics.

If you do decide to drink, be very careful. You'll get drunk a lot faster and also tend to drink a lot because nearly all drugs are more enjoyable when you haven't done them in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have been off the drink for the past month and I have decided to quit drinking cold turkey forever however my friends stag is on in 2 months and I am not sure what im going to do, he is a good friend from college and im afraid he wont understand if I am not drinking
    Drink Coke; Act boorish, yell, dance poorly.

You'll be grand.

Advertisement