Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instructor training and BHS

Options
  • 03-05-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi
    I want to become an instructor and I am just wondering if anyone might be able to help me please. I know there are similiar posts already but none seem to answer what I am wondering.
    I am in full time employment so that rules out any full time courses that are available. I am a horse owner and have been riding for many years but have no courses or qualifications in anything to do with horses.
    Are The BHS exams the best route for me - starting at level 1 I presume and working my way through them. I have been on their website and looked at the syllabus - I take it Level 1 is where you start and that you dont need any introductory courses before that or anything?
    Also, even though the site referred to BHS Ireland do I still need to send off the application to the English address and pay in sterling? I could not find any reference to contact addresses in Ireland although it did reference Irish test centres.
    I would really appreciate any advice anyone may have!
    Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Have a look at the UK site (they do all the admin). Their systems of qualifications are well structured and recognised across the industry. The UK site has tons of stuff on the structure of the qualifications. I too wish to become a BHS qualified instructor; I'm also in full time employment so like you have to juggle life with horses! But if you're going to spend time and money on gaining a qualification I cannot think of a better organization to help you. I'd also recommend talking to them on the phone as they will be able to answer your questions much better than me .:)

www.bhsireland.com

www.bhs.org.uk/Training_and_Qualifications/BHS_Examinations_and_Qualifications.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

You need to be a BHS Gold member to do the exams and you have to pay membership and exam fees in sterling to the office in the UK.

Up to stage 2 most people can do without training. If you have pony club tests there is an equivalence done so that you can skip exams.

I've just applied for my stage 3 so any specific questions PM me as I've done some of it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Friskyfilly

I have done my BHS exams. I did it tho as a full time student in Thomastown in Kilkenny. Now you can by all means give them a call you would be looking to speak to Bridget McCarthy in Grennan college and she might be able to give you info on part time courses or how it could be done. You could also just do them at home yourself with a good instructor. I did my stage one and road safety at home. So it is do able bit more expensive tho.
    Other thing is if your really really interested in teaching and you want to go into it full time and you have more patience then a saint then go for it. As for experience the bit that your doing at home is as good as any. Just read up a bit on grass land management and feeding and your away!. The only difference is with the exams is that you get into a way of doing it more efficent and tidy but some of it to be honest I have never used ten years on and a lot of the jobs I have done (still working with horses) never cared about my exams.
    I did my stage one and road safety at home with a good instructor. Can be more expensive tho but is do able. Them exams are in pounds alright and are expensive!!!!!!!:(:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Friskyfilly

The Irish test centre's are the like's of Brennans town up in Wicklow riding school that are recgonised by the BHS or up to the BHS standard, but they dont take the money alright. You would need to become a member with them and you can prob pay for the exams and get the information off there website, dont have it to hand.
    Hope this all helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

There is an alternative. There is the Horse Sport Ireland Coaching Course. You do the Intro Course which is a one day course, then you move on to Level one which I am doing in November, it's 2 days then another 2 days in Feb.

http://www.horsesportireland.ie/education-training-.85.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement