Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumor has the irish army are recruiting ?

Options
  • 03-05-2010 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi everyone i heard off a source that the army are recruiting soon hope its true as its something i would love to do as it runs in the family.

Any help would be great hope its true

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

There is still no confirmation. The Minister has said he intends to recruit ~200 by the end of the year but there's been no announcement as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

concussion wrote: »
    There is still no confirmation. The Minister has said he intends to recruit ~200 by the end of the year but there's been no announcement as of yet.

hope they sort something out soon

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Email the press officer, or check www.military.ie for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

When was the last time the air corps recruited?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ODriscoll

Be patient and good luck.
    The Irish Military are one of the few forces in the world, that you can be proud of as a institution.
    Worth the wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

ODriscoll wrote: »
    The Irish Military are one of the few forces in the world, that you can be proud of as a institution.
    Worth the wait.

How many other armed forces have you served in?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

Are they gonna be recruiting for officers in that 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

muboop1 wrote: »
    When was the last time the air corps recruited?

I think the last time the air corps took recruits directly was 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

Are they gonna be recruiting for officers in that 200?

There`ll probably be very few positions for cadets within that 200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

A recruitment competition is being run for the Naval Service. It is starting on Friday and only recruiting 40 people.

on Friday,

Go to www.military.ie - there will be a link that you click, the appication process is being done online now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

echo.lima wrote: »
    There`ll probably be very few positions for cadets within that 200.

Cadets don't fall under the same umbrella as general recruiting.

If they did, there wouldn't be a Cadet class in training right now. You can almost guarantee there'll be a Cadet competition run this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pete_cork

Poccington, as someone who intends to apply for an Irish Army Cadeship this year, how can you be sos ure? I have heard conflicting reports as to whether there will be a cadet class or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

pete_cork wrote: »
    Poccington, as someone who intends to apply for an Irish Army Cadeship this year, how can you be sos ure? I have heard conflicting reports as to whether there will be a cadet class or not...

There has never not been a Cadet class run. And last year when it seemed lke it wasent going to run it did.

On current form,chances are there will be one. Stay positive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

anyone know what the Irish navy is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

benwavner wrote: »
    A recruitment competition is being run for the Naval Service. It is starting on Friday and only recruiting 40 people.

on Friday,

Go to www.military.ie - there will be a link that you click, the appication process is being done online now.

Where does it say their only taking on 40?

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Where does it say their only taking on 40?

It said it on the Facebook site,1 platoon of 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

all i see is this

Naval Service Start Recruitment

Friday 14 May, 2010

The Naval Service will start a recruitment competition on Friday 14 May 2010 and will close on June 4th, 2010.
    For more information on the Naval Service and how to apply follow this link Naval Service Recruitment

I was doubting meself there but I knew I read it somewhere!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1013334026#!/IrishDefenceForces?ref=sgm

Go to one of Pats post on the 14th of May about the recruitment,a few comments into that post he says its 40 places or 1 platoon.

"Pat O'Connor 17 to 27 before 1 August 2010. There are 40 places, that's one recruit platoon, there are no updates on Army or AC."
    14 May at 12:46

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

anyone know what the Irish navy is like

****e i just left after serving 5 years in there.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Care to give us some insight into the job and day-to-day life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

That bad really? What didnt you like about it, the sea time or what?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Just out of curiosity is there a maximum age to apply to the army, air corps, Navy for general service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity is there a maximum age to apply to the army, air corps, Navy for general service

27 for the Naval Service, from the application form, "Are you over 17 years of age and under 27 years of age on August 1st 2010?"

25 for the Army, http://www.military.ie/careers/booklets/genservice-eng.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pollars4

ODriscoll wrote: »
    Worth the wait.

Nonscence I spent 5 years in their 1999 - 2004 and got bullied out of the place. NCO's with position power too ignorant to realise they are in a small impotent defense force and they behave like they are in the American special forces. Officers are a different story I would emplore anybody not to go in as a recruit where you will be subjected to some monkey pushing you round for the fun of it or whatever narrow minded reason he/she may have. I did enjoy recruits but as soon as that ended and I went into operation I met some complete tools. Made good friends in their also but normal objective people are thin on the ground. It is a cushy job though. When I was in there you start at 08.45 and finish at 16.20, 5 days a week, half days all over the place, 28 days leave a year plus army and bank holidays, public holidays, the odd duty, you didn't have to go over seas if you didn't want to, 7 days uncertified sick days a year plus if you don't want to use them just go to the base doctor and tell him your sick and away home you go. People need to know facts before they make decisions based on whatever romantic notions they may have. The pay for a recruit is very good and with bench marking I can only imagine how good it has become. The personnel turnover when I was in their of people fleeing the stupidity was enormous and if they are recruiting again it must be still going on, but in a recession they have the upper hand. If it's changed - and I doubt it - then it is a good job based on job security, a pension, cheap booze, cheap loans and cheap accommodation and payment whether you work or not - whats wrong with that - but it's not a military in any sense of the word, after recruits and training courses its just a cushy job. And if you want to get anywhere you need to lick some serious hole, and its seniority and not ability for the most part that will push you up the ranks. If you have a brain in your head, a half decent leaving cert or a degree then go in as a cadet, you will be shown how to lead, educated and given a sword, and can go about with some self respect, if your not bothered about your mental health, you left school early or with little to no education and doesn't mind being pushed around then go in as a recruit and pucker up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

pollars4 wrote: »
    Nonscence I spent 5 years in their 1999 - 2004 and got bullied out of the place. if your not bothered about your mental health, you left school early or with little to no education and doesn't mind being pushed around then go in as a recruit and pucker up.

So you are saying that the majority of irish soldiers (enlisted) are retarded lazy bullies?

Sorry you had such a bad experience with your own unit, but as regards the above sweeping statement, I completely disagree. Bullying is not tolerated today. That was 8 years ago and much has changed. The force is far more professional. As regards choosing to go / not go overseas, im not so sure its that simple anymore.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

pollars4 wrote: »
    Nonscence I spent 5 years in their 1999 - 2004 and got bullied out of the place. NCO's with position power too ignorant to realise they are in a small impotent defense force and they behave like they are in the American special forces. Officers are a different story I would emplore anybody not to go in as a recruit where you will be subjected to some monkey pushing you round for the fun of it or whatever narrow minded reason he/she may have. I did enjoy recruits but as soon as that ended and I went into operation I met some complete tools. Made good friends in their also but normal objective people are thin on the ground. It is a cushy job though. When I was in there you start at 08.45 and finish at 16.20, 5 days a week, half days all over the place, 28 days leave a year plus army and bank holidays, public holidays, the odd duty, you didn't have to go over seas if you didn't want to, 7 days uncertified sick days a year plus if you don't want to use them just go to the base doctor and tell him your sick and away home you go. People need to know facts before they make decisions based on whatever romantic notions they may have. The pay for a recruit is very good and with bench marking I can only imagine how good it has become. The personnel turnover when I was in their of people fleeing the stupidity was enormous and if they are recruiting again it must be still going on, but in a recession they have the upper hand. If it's changed - and I doubt it - then it is a good job based on job security, a pension, cheap booze, cheap loans and cheap accommodation and payment whether you work or not - whats wrong with that - but it's not a military in any sense of the word, after recruits and training courses its just a cushy job. And if you want to get anywhere you need to lick some serious hole, and its seniority and not ability for the most part that will push you up the ranks. If you have a brain in your head, a half decent leaving cert or a degree then go in as a cadet, you will be shown how to lead, educated and given a sword, and can go about with some self respect, if your not bothered about your mental health, you left school early or with little to no education and doesn't mind being pushed around then go in as a recruit and pucker up.

Man, there is so much wrong with this post that I dont know where to start. I wont bother pulling it all apart but It actually doesnt sound like you served for all that time, in fact I doubt you served at all.

"People need to know facts before they make decisions", its a pity that you didnt post any facts.

Feel free to PM me your ex number, rank and name, and maybe what unit you served in. I could hold your argument with much more weight.

You served 5 years, were you not signed back on? I find it hard that you were bullied out.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Cadets are due to begin training this october. The applicants for that class have already been whittled down to the last few hundred and the competition is still on-going. There won't be another competition this year.
    Minister of Defence Alan Shatter said in an interview with a local Offaly news paper that there is a disproportionate amount of officers to other ranks in the defence forces and he intends to rectify that. I can say with 100% certainty because of that that there won't be ANOTHER cadetship competition this year. There's usually only one a year anyway. The DF also hasn't even finished its competition to fill the 600 vacancies of other ranks accross the Army and the Navy so don't hold too much hope for another competition to be run this year for general recruits. If they do decide to fill more vacancies amongst other ranks AFTER that 600 have been inducted, they'll probably take those new recruits from the succesful but unselected candidates of the competition currently being run.

In short, don't expect to be able to apply until well in 2013. Thats just my opinion though. People that are actually in the DF might be able to give you better advice.

EDIT: Disregard my post here, I didn't realise how old this thread was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i kinda agree with the bullying part!! our platoon commander who may i add was fresh out of cadet school had a major chip on his shoulder, he was a year younger than myself who also thought he was **** hot walking around as if he was massive when in fact he was a scrawny fecker, he used often take the platoon out of eyeshot of anyone senior and beast the feck outta us just cos he could and one night he had us in rain gear and cefo, gave us all pick axes and spade marched us over to waste ground at the back of the barracks had us dig out and area 20 foot by 20 foot then split the platoon in half one half was filling sand bags the other half still digging out the area carefully removing the sods and placing them in one pile and any stones we found in another!!! may i also add that the heavens were falling that night, but anyway he called the platoon altogether and screamed grenade and had us leper crawl through the area making sure we were all destroyed and told us to have every single bit of gear we had on us spotless that we would be inspected in them the next day!!! his reason for doin this was that he claimed that we made a show of him, i'm sorry now but what he did there to us was an impossible task and is classed as bullying!!!!this was only in 2005 may i add

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

i kinda agree with the bullying part!! our platoon commander who may i add was fresh out of cadet school had a major chip on his shoulder, he was a year younger than myself who also thought he was **** hot walking around as if he was massive when in fact he was a scrawny fecker, he used often take the platoon out of eyeshot of anyone senior and beast the feck outta us just cos he could and one night he had us in rain gear and cefo, gave us all pick axes and spade marched us over to waste ground at the back of the barracks had us dig out and area 20 foot by 20 foot then split the platoon in half one half was filling sand bags the other half still digging out the area carefully removing the sods and placing them in one pile and any stones we found in another!!! may i also add that the heavens were falling that night, but anyway he called the platoon altogether and screamed grenade and had us leper crawl through the area making sure we were all destroyed and told us to have every single bit of gear we had on us spotless that we would be inspected in them the next day!!! his reason for doin this was that he claimed that we made a show of him, i'm sorry now but what he did there to us was an impossible task and is classed as bullying!!!!this was only in 2005 may i add

Any platoon commander I've worked with, and I've been involved with 5 recruit platoons, was a full lieutenant, 'fresh out of cadet school' I think not.

Where'd you train ?? What was your army number ??

I joined in 2000 and call BS on these posts BTW, no enlisted man talks like this.

Advertisement