Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!!!

Options
  • 02-05-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I have recorded a few mini home videos from sony camcorder and want to put them all together (less one small piece)....I have discovered the camcorder is only compatible with certain software and not media player (ie. corel, sony, g Thompson, Nero, Adobe, iMovie?) so I downloaded a free sony version - Vegas Pro 8.0...and it worked, but I cannot work out how to join the clips....is so so complicated ...I have spent hours messing around with it and reading the tutorials/help doc, etc and I jsut can't work what to do - it is something I would like to put up on utube and a few other places...has anyone any advice? Before I tear my hear out... !!!??? :confused::mad::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

did your camcorder come with a dvd of applications on it?

have you already joined your clips together and now just want to play them? Try downloading a programme called VLC player that should play the files

Have you been able to bring the clips into vegas? and can you see them in vegas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

what is the .extension on these videos. They might need some converting to a more friendly conversion type of format that you can manipulate? Sony is a bitch for not letting you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

101001 wrote: »
    did your camcorder come with a dvd of applications on it?

have you already joined your clips together and now just want to play them? Try downloading a programme called VLC player that should play the files

Have you been able to bring the clips into vegas? and can you see them in vegas?

The Camcorder is my sisters and she doesn't think she has a cd with software on it...it is about three years old and has searched the house, but nothing! It is a good camcorder, model DCR-DVD-105E, if that means anything... I rang sony and they say one can download the software from their website, but not my one as it has changed and gave me a list frmo their website of compatible software so I dowloaded the one called vegas pro.

I can watch the clips in vegas, they are ok. - I have moved them in order onto the time line...I wanted to connect them all I (and hopefully fade on and out between them)..and maybe cut two pieces out of two of them..but just can't do anything...I think when I read the Help doc, I just don't understand the terminology, "rendering", etc!!! The porblem is getting the joined pieces (well I think they are) and playing them and saving them and then putting on utube...

If I download VLC player, will I be able to save onto it, or do I "edit" from it?

Thanks a mill for your help...have asked so many and then thought of boards...

what is the .extension on these videos. They might need some converting to a more friendly conversion type of format that you can manipulate? Sony is a bitch for not letting you do this.

That makes so much sense as I cannot open in anything else - nothing recognises the files. It is .mpg - I tried to save it with another extension (sure not the way how!)...of course - wouldn't let me - it opened up with nothing! How does one convert - is that easy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Right, when you have all the videos in Sony vegas, just drag them together so they're touching. Then when you have them all in order, click File > Render as and set the options at the bottom to save as a WMV or MPEG file.

What your doing is saving the project file, not the video.

Render is what needs to happen to save all the videos together into one big video. It may take a while so you'll have to leave it :)

• Advertisement

Ok!! This is incredibly difficult to walk you through the process. First we'll see if you have all your footage joined together and see if we can view your footage outside of vegas.

Check this video out it will show you how to export http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6LpQ0ZyqgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmhjY42rnuU this'll show you how to split clips etc

Is this the version of vegas you have? hopeully it wont be too dissimilar

VLC Player is just a player it allows you to view footage

Tallon wrote: »
    Right, when you have all the videos in Sony vegas, just drag them together so they're touching. Then when you have them all in order, click File > Render as and set the options at the bottom to save as a WMV or MPEG file.

What your doing is saving the project file, not the video.

Render is what needs to happen to save all the videos together into one big video. It may take a while so you'll have to leave it :)

Tallon, thanks for explaining...I did all that (I think!), yes, it sure took a while! - and saved it as a MPEG, but there were a few options of MPEG and many other options.....see attached!

Then when I went to play it, it was just blank with sound and also stills then separately, then it would not recognize the format - see attached....

God, it seems so complicated....didn't realise this would be so hard....

Ok!! This is incredibly difficult to walk you through the process. First we'll see if you have all your footage joined together and see if we can view your footage outside of vegas.

Check this video out it will show you how to export http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6LpQ0ZyqgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmhjY42rnuU this'll show you how to split clips etc

Is this the version of vegas you have? hopeully it wont be too dissimilar

VLC Player is just a player it allows you to view footage

It is "Vegas Pro 9.0", a free trial for 30 days.....incredibly hard, that is for sure! I will look at that on utube now, thank you so much again...

MegFi wrote: »
    It is "Vegas Pro 9.0", a free trial for 30 days.....incredibly hard, that is for sure! I will look at that on utube now, thank you so much again...

Those Utube videos are great.....it is a different version though Platinum 7, I have Pro 9.0....But, what does split mean???? sorry...
    Gonna now try open vegas again and try work it!
    THANKS AGAIN.

I just did all the rendering, etc as on the utube recording - but it wont play...not sure what to open it in....

It's driving me mad.......:D:mad:

• Advertisement

you might be having a codec issue... download VLC player (just google it) that'll play any file thats not corrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

you might be having a codec issue... download VLC player (just google it) that'll play any file thats not corrupt
    codec issue is worth looking at. Open windows media player goto / help / check for updates and if udates are available and done then see if the files will play then?

VLC will play anything that you throw at it as long as the file is not corrupted (as mentioned).

Plus when you say the files are 'mpg' do you mean mpeg1? Double check the file extension and put it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi Megfi,

As Tallon said above, go to 'render as' on the file menu, in Save as type select 'MainConcept MPEG2' in template select DVD PAL then render it.

Then it will be a DVD compliant file that can be burned to a dvd or played in windows media player, hope it works out for you

Advertisement