Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware or Driver problem

Options
  • 02-05-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

I lost my network connection the other day, from the PC to the router and I'm just wondering if its a software /driver problem or if the NIC is fried.

The NIC (integrated Marvell Gigabit built in to an aopen xc cube system) is still showing on the BIOS and PCI table before booting, but there are no connection lights on the back and the light on the router port isn't lighting either.
    I've tried a new cable and a different port on the router (both checked fine on another pc) but no deal.
    I've also tried booting into Puppy linux, but that was the same, thou that could be using the same kernel version.

So is it just coincidence that this happened a day after I upgraded to Kubuntu 10.04?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Finally solved my own question. I came across a bug while trying to install a wireless dongle.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/555571
    The issue was caused by
    NetworkingEnabled=false
    in
    /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

After changing it back to
    NetworkingEnabled=true
    in
    /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    and running
    sudo service network-manager restart
    everything worked fine again.