Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Boilers-Old vs New Comparisons

• 02-05-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

We currently have a Glow-worm Spacesaver 40-50RF Gas boiler.

Its been a good solid reliable unit with only a single failure in 20 years,the Fan.

However with the current trend towards Governmental Scalping of the ordinary working class I`v begun to wonder if my 20 year old boiler is and great deal elss efficient that a new model ?

There are currently 9 rads running off the system and we tend to use it for most of our hot-water needs also.

I`m assuming that the newer wall-hung boilers will be smaller and more tightly controlled than the Glow-Worm

Has anybody got Opinions /Suggestions/Experience of replacing an old boiler and whether or not shiny new one`s really ARE any better ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

To start a new condensing boiler would be a hell of alot more efficient than your spacesaver. I currently service one of these for the last 5 years and the boiler is hitting 18 years old and the guy has never had a moments trouble with it.
    The efficency of the boiler is in the seventies though so by today's standards it's bad.

To get the most from a new boiler, the heating system would have to be zoned. Judging by your post and if you can use the boiler to heat water only in the summer without the rads (if you have whats known as a summer valve that turnes the rads off onlt) this will rule out to much intrusive work. SEI give grants for this upgrade up to €700 for a new boiler and controles.

Do some home work on boilers though, I've noticed some RGI's telling customers to go for this and that make of boiler because it's eaisier to get parts and every one knows them, wich of course is a load of bull.

If you want a perticular boiler you should be able to get it after all it's your house and it will be your boiler. Take a look at the SEDBUK web site this gives a list of all the different boilers on the market and there efficenciy's.

Vaillant are the most efficent. Worcester Bosch and Viessman would be close behind.

Controls are more or less the same although from my experiances I would stay away from Hostmann and Sauter because the motors are weak on them an fail.

Make sure the heating system is chemically cleaned prior to the new boiler going in because the manufactures will not stand by the warranty if it's not (Chemically cleaned that is not just letting the mains water run through the system for a few mins. This will not remove depossits.)

I'm a bit tired at the moment so if I think of anything else I'll let you know. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Many thanks JohnnieK,this is exactly the type of stuff I need to gen up on before I decide which boiler,where and all the rest.

We do have the capability to switch out the rads by opening one gate-valve and closing another in the hot-press.
    I`m guessing that the mod you contemplate would automate that process ?

Perhaps you will expand on this topic after a good nights sleep ! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Worcester do a nice small boiler that fits inside a kitchen press ,glowworm also make a small boiler (glowworm are owned by valiant.)fits nicely in a kitchen cupboard.

I always tell people to go for worcester ,it's of course up to people as to what boiler they want.

A simple thing to make an easy comparison ,old boilers got very hot (Heatloss). New boilers loose virtually no heat and are cold to touch.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Many thanks JohnnieK,this is exactly the type of stuff I need to gen up on before I decide which boiler,where and all the rest.

We do have the capability to switch out the rads by opening one gate-valve and closing another in the hot-press.
    I`m guessing that the mod you contemplate would automate that process ?

Perhaps you will expand on this topic after a good nights sleep ! :D

It will certainly automate the process. You will have a two channel programmer, one channel for hot water and the other for the heating and both can be independently controlled and each will independently control the boiler. When the two different stats are satisfied it will shut the boiler down and keep it off until heat is required again. You will definitely see an improvement on you gas bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Thanks again JohnnieK,it`s all coming together a bit better now.

So...having checked my old Glow-worm`s rating I find the SEDBUK rate it at 68% ish.
    That does indeed look low by modern standards so it looks as if a simple modernization itself will be of benefit.

I`ll need to delve into the issue of WHICH boiler somewhat more over the next few days.
    One item that is concentrating my mind is the relevance of a condensing boiler vs an "ordinary" one.
    Any opinions on this issue ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

When your looking at reducing your gas bill ,a new boiler will have a small impact ,controls the largest impact and the radiators/insulated cylinder reduce costs aswell.

Check out the worcester greenstar boiler ,I've installed a few hundred at this stage and have had only one or two issues. Glowworm flexicom are a good make aswell.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Thanks again JohnnieK,it`s all coming together a bit better now.

So...having checked my old Glow-worm`s rating I find the SEDBUK rate it at 68% ish.
    That does indeed look low by modern standards so it looks as if a simple modernization itself will be of benefit.

I`ll need to delve into the issue of WHICH boiler somewhat more over the next few days.
    One item that is concentrating my mind is the relevance of a condensing boiler vs an "ordinary" one.
    Any opinions on this issue ?

In order to have the greatest impact on your bill you should go for the controls as well with an A rated boiler. Installing a standard efficiency boiler will be against current building regs for the replacement of existing central heating boilers. Vokera do a B rated boiler but if you are deffinetly not going for controls I would recommend an A rated boiler to try and get the most savings out of it.

Advertisement