Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Query regarding 2nd hand car purchase

Options
  • 02-05-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I bought a car from a guy that sells cars from his house with a sign in the window about 6 weeks ago. The only guarantee I got at the time was that the vehicle would pass its upcoming NCT.

Since I have had trouble with it, the first issue cost me approx 200euro, the second approx. 500euro now I have another problem with it.

Do I have any come back, is there anything I can do about it or anywhere I can go about it?

Any suggestions most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

As above, sounds like you've no comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sordfish

As he is continually selling cars could it be considered other than a private purchase? Could I argue it is infact a business to him and would this give me a stronger case?

Clutching at straws here but feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Nope, not unless he is actually registered as a business.

He'll just say "cars? What cars?".

Nope, not unless he is actually registered as a business.

He'll just say "cars? What cars?".

Could I say like the car I bought off you, and in a few weeks say the car outside your house with the sign, and the x number of cars I have in these photos with your sign in the window in the previous few weeks?

Proving infact he is trading cars!?

• Advertisement

sordfish wrote: »
    Could I say like the car I bought off you, and in a few weeks say the car outside your house with the sign, and the x number of cars I have in these photos with your sign in the window in the previous few weeks?

Proving infact he is trading cars!?

But he's most likely not registered as a dealer, which means legally he doesnt have to supply a warranty, and buyer beware applies.

Sorry, but there isnt much you can do.

Did you not get a mechanic to check over the car before you bought it? Its a tough lesson learned but all you can do is move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It may not be entirely up to the "trader" to consider himself a private seller. Revenue could make that decision for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

He is a defacto trader so he's under pressure to look after you,

Ask him to fix your problems. Check out consumer web site motor dealers carry a lot of obligations.

Mention why you think he is a motor dealer backed up by facts and then I'd be more inclined to mention Revenue and Vat man to him to put pressure on him rather than solicitor.. Revenue and Vat are very quick to recognise a dealer.

Good luck

Bigus wrote: »

Ask him to fix your problems. Check out consumer web site motor dealers carry a lot of obligations.

Mention why you think he is a motor dealer backed up by facts and then I'd be more inclined to mention Revenue and Vat man to him to put pressure on him rather than solicitor.. Revenue and Vat are very quick to recognise a dealer.

Good luck

..........Which could take months, in the meantime the OP's car still needs to be repaired. Maybe I'm wrong - he could be registered as a dealer, which means you should have got a 3 month warranty at least.

I still stand by my original gut feeling though, I'd say he's just trying to make a few quid on the side and is not registered as a dealer. Even if the revenue do make that decision for him, I dont think that it can be back dated. The "dealer" will argue that if he was supposed to have supplied a warranty, he would have sold the car for more money.

Pays yer money and takes your chances with this kind of sale.

The revenue can demand revenue back dated as long as they like.
    The threat of being reported to revenue should get this dealer to help out quickly and if he doesn't help the op has the plesure in reporting him.

Cheaper to fix the op's problems then pay back tax and vat for god know how many years.

• Advertisement

The revenue can demand revenue back dated as long as they like.
    The threat of being reported to revenue should get this dealer to help out quickly and if he doesn't help the op has the plesure in reporting him.

Cheaper to fix the op's problems then pay back tax and vat for god know how many years.

Only if they can prove that the "dealer" sold the cars in the first place. If he was smart, he would have kept no paper work, and done the deals in cash. Then what revenue can they claim?

Also, the revenue are not the people who are responsible to ensure a dealer provides a warranty. Thats someone else altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Good luck

He is a motor dealer, and an illigitimate one of that. Part of me feels you get the results of your decisions but as a fellow boardsie i reccomend you gather some proof. Google his mobile, gather old ads show that he makes money as a car dealer and then ask him to fix the issues you have.
    Then in the future either buy off real people with service history or off real dealers.

Revenue can state what they "think has being going on and how much is due" then its up to seller to prove otherwise.

Believe me any body selling cars on the side and not legit will be made very unconfortable by revenue very quickly.They Just google the sellers number and see how many adverts his name was attched to.

Look this is all about putting QUICK pressure on the Dealer the op bought his car from. Quting the name of the local tax official as a cousin etc might also hurry thing up .

What other avenue does the op have open to him ?

Again
    Good luck

..........Which could take months, in the meantime the OP's car still needs to be repaired. Maybe I'm wrong - he could be registered as a dealer, which means you should have got a 3 month warranty at least.

I still stand by my original gut feeling though, I'd say he's just trying to make a few quid on the side and is not registered as a dealer. Even if the revenue do make that decision for him, I dont think that it can be back dated. The "dealer" will argue that if he was supposed to have supplied a warranty, he would have sold the car for more money.

Pays yer money and takes your chances with this kind of sale.
    ok thanks for the i'll try and get some satisfaction

cheers
    He is a motor dealer, and an illigitimate one of that. Part of me feels you get the results of your decisions but as a fellow boardsie i reccomend you gather some proof. Google his mobile, gather old ads show that he makes money as a car dealer and then ask him to fix the issues you have.
    Then in the future either buy off real people with service history or off real dealers.

Revenue can state what they "think has being going on and how much is due" then its up to seller to prove otherwise.

Believe me any body selling cars on the side and not legit will be made very unconfortable by revenue very quickly.They Just google the sellers number and see how many adverts his name was attched to.

Look this is all about putting QUICK pressure on the Dealer the op bought his car from. Quting the name of the local tax official as a cousin etc might also hurry thing up .

What other avenue does the op have open to him ?

Again
    Good luck
    sounds best option

Advertisement