Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit my job in haste

Options
  • 02-05-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've a fairly good job, stressful for sure and long hours but I enjoy it and get on great with everyone. I'm there 4 years and while I've never applied for an internal promotion my manager tells me I do well, appraisals state much the same. Realy, I'm my own harshest critic

Two weeks ago I was feeling pretty low and very stressed (so short staffed) and half thinking about going traveling for a year. So at 17:20 one evening I handed in my notice and said I was going travelling.
    I only told HR and my manager and then they told absolutely everyone my plans. I know my teamleader needs to know but they were chatting about me in the canteen, so much for talking to HR in confidence.....

However, I'm having second thoughts. The whole thing wasn't planned very well and I don't have much arranged. I wasn't planning on going until end of June and my manager told me that's fine and I can choose a leaving date.

I'm starting to regret this, the recession has put the fear in me. I was told I can return in a years time but that's a vague promise and I've nothing official from HR.
    And I'm doing professional exams too so it's difficult to study on the road.

I told two guys in work, they said I was good at my job and could retract my notice no problem, it saves training a new hire to replace me as it'd take 6-12 months plus before they could what I do. It'd be humiliating to retract plus I think I could never go for an internal position as I'd be viewed as unreliable. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Sounds like you made an on the fly implusive decision.

We've all done that. And we've all been too prideful sometimes to admit if it was a mistake.

Have you made a mistake? Or is it just the fear talking?

Dont let pride let you commit to a course of action you really think is wrong.

You've bought yourself a little time now to think. Use it wisely. I wouldnt count on a position being available in a year though.

You can easily undo it and go back to status quo.

Or you could try to wrangle a possible promotion/job change/pay raise and get them to convince you to stay. Up to you how you play it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Can you change your mind and take a career break instead or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

The most important thing you can do in this instance and for the rest of your life is whats best for you!
    If you need to go back and say I retract my decision, so be it.
    Its your life your job your decision. You are in control.
    Don't worry about what other people think of you if they are putting you down or if you think they might later.
    Good friends will tell you when you are wrong and stick by you. Bad friends will tell everybody else you are wrong and smile to your face.
    The right thing may be to move on or it may be to stay as you are until you find what you want.
    Feck everyone you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I think you should have a chat with your manager and be honest with them. What's done is done. You are not the only person who's ever made a rash decision and has regretted it. I get the impression from what you say that if you did ask for your job back, that you'd get it.

Don't even let what other people think come into the equation. You're doing what's best for you and it would appear that being in your job and studying for these professional exams is it. As for the promotion issue, who knows? I think first things first - try to get your job back and work from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I think you should ask hr to commit to letting you come back in a year's time. Get them to put it in writing, calling it a career break instead of resignation.
    They probably won't agree to this, but there's no harm in asking.

Another thing you could do is extend your notice period by a month or two which will give you more time to get into the mindset to travel

I don't think you have necessarily made a huge mistake. It might be a really good experience.

It's unfortunate you don't have your exams out of the way before you travel. you'll probably have to put them on hold until you get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

life is short, go travelling and try and get them to guarantee your job. if you get your job back now you'll be stressed again.

Advertisement