Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books on tape

Options
  • 02-05-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

(Or to bring the title into the 21st century, grandad, books on podcasts.)

Anyone got any recommendations for books I can listen to? I got my hands on the complete works of Roald Dahl a while back, but apart from the first couple of chapters of Danny the Champion of the World, I've not listened to it yet. I'm not sure this method works for me, I listen to my iPod in small doses, 30mins into work, 30mins out of work, and then at weekends if I'm doing stuff in the garden. So maybe something with short sharp chapters that will hold my attention. I'm also split between whether the reader should be a proper actOR, a nobody or the original author. (Actually while looking for examples of the latter on Amazon, a quick glance at the audio section and I couldn't find any books that were read by the author)

Basically, I'm looking for some ideas for audio books that are better, or at least as good as, reading them myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I couldn't tell you how many amazing audiobooks I've listened to in work. Simply put the best site for audiobooks is www.librivox.org there are so many classics on this site that you'll be kept busy for a long time. I'd advise Candide by Voltaire as it was the best audiobook I got off this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

You can now get audiobooks on little MP3s in most libraries. Handy due to their small size and chapter settings.

Personally I don't like audiobooks so I'm not much help on recommending titles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I don't listen to audio books but if I was going on a long journey I'd be tempted by this list of books read by hollywood actors- http://whosevoice.org/home/2010/1/13/burt-reynolds-teaches-survival-dexter-reads-about-dinosaurs.html

Advertisement