Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on flat battery

Options
  • 02-05-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

We have a 98 Renault Megane that has been lying up since November last year. Long story short -someone reversed into the car in the car park and damaged the boot & rear wheel arch and drove off. The car was running fine for a few weeks after this, but we had intended to eventually sell the car for spare parts because it was too expensive to repair. The battery was acting up so we replaced it and continued to run it for a couple of weeks then it was left lying up from November on.
    Tried to start it last week the battery was completely flat.
    After jump starting it on three different days, the engine eventually turned over but it won’t stay running on its own accord or even attached to the donor battery. All the normal lights/dash lights etc are working again.
    Does anyone have any experience or advice with starting cars that have been laid up? Could there be something else wrong with it? Should i jump start it again or just have it towed?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

petrol could be stale and battery is probably a write off....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

There may be a drain on the battery. My sister has a 98 passat that is laid up for a while. She is hoping to get scrappage on it and her current driver (99 avensis) If the bank will pull their finger out :rolleyes:, but that has been going flat for a while too.I got the battery tested a while ago and it was brown bread.Got a new one and it was ok for a while, but had to jump it there recently twice in a few days.I took out the fuse for the central locking as it used to click while I turned on the ignition. Its still flat she tells me:confused::(.This is what happens to cars that are laid up I am afraid.It may be able to be traced by putting a multimeter on the amps setting between the earth on batt and the disconnected cable. Check the reading and see what it is. If its high, remove fuses one by one to see if it drops and if so then that is the drain. Easier said then done;).Not sure about the non running, could be stale fuel, connection on a sensor,dirty injectors maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If it got hit hard enough did the fuel pump cut off kick in? check it is getting fuel.

Advertisement