Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi R8 GT - extreme lightweight version of the R8

Options
  • 02-05-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Audi-R8-GT-1-650x459.jpg

* Limited-production, top-of-the-line version of the high-performance sports car
    * 100 kilograms lighter, body parts in carbon
    * V10 FSI with 412 kW (560 hp), 0 – 100 km/h in 3.6 seconds

more pics and and official details here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Pfft, give me a Micra anyday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ive recently decided that if i win a substantion amount on the irish lotto or indeed the Euromillions, the R8 is the car for me!!!!!

if i win the normal amount of the irish lotto, its an E92 M3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'd prefer an Abt Audi R8 GTR

leadabtr8gtrgenevalive.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Always makes me smile when I see a press release from a manufacturer regarding a new "light weight" or "superlight" or "ultralight" version of a car which still weighs over 1500KG which is a tonne and a half!!
    So what if it has a great power to weight ratio, this does NOT equal light weight. R8 is a nice bus though.

Actually, I've just re-read the title of thread, Extreme?? if they got it below a tonne I'd probably agree but removing the weight of one fat passenger is not extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,012 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Gotta agree with Andrew. Can't really call a >1.5 tonne car extreme lightweight...

And to put performance into perspective, nearly 25 years ago the Porsche 959 also did 0-100km/h in 3.7s. It wasn't very lightweight either. We haven't moved on much, have we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

unkel wrote: »
    Gotta agree with Andrew. Can't really call a >1.5 tonne car extreme lightweight...

And to put performance into perspective, nearly 25 years ago the Porsche 959 also did 0-100km/h in 3.7s. It wasn't very lightweight either. We haven't moved on much, have we?

I agree with the not-lightweight situation but as for the 0-100 there is only so fast you can get power on the ground without lighting up the tyres. Engines are much more advanced than the the 80's as are drivetrains, but you can only do so much with road grade rubber.

stick racing tyres on it and I'm sure it'll be faster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Is it just me or does the R8 scream 'new money'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To be fair the 959 was the most advanced car Porsche had ever built at the time. It was built using all the knowledge Porsche had gained through racing and was really the pinnicle of sportcars. Where as a R8 is just a V10 shoehorned into a decent chassis. Nothing particularly new or amazing and sure who would buy one of them over say a Ferrari!

Funny enough, I'd buy the R8 over a Ferrari any day, Ferrari's are just too much of a cliche.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

unkel wrote: »

You're not comparing like with like. How much did the 959 cost.

The 959 was a car built so that Porsche could go racing with it. You want to compare it with like, then you should compare it to something crazy like the road version of the Toyota GT1 or even the Ferrari FXX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

You're not comparing like with like. How much did the 959 cost.

The 959 was a car built so that Porsche could go racing with it. You want to compare it with like, then you should compare it to something crazy like the road version of the Toyota GT1 or even the Ferrari FXX.

Not really. Porsche raced the 959, most notably in the Paris-Dakar but it was also a very drivable day to day car, easy to shop or commute in. At the time the alternative was the Countach or Testarossa, later the F40. 959 was by far the most practical car of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    They are a bit of a Footballers choices alright but I wouldnt care! That said perhaps a nice Maserati, the thinking mans ferrari as they say:)

LOL if Ferraris are footballers cars what are R8's? How many footballers have an F40/F50/Enzo? :rolleyes: Stupid reputation gained by overpaid muppets.

R8 is a great car though, gorgeous, understated and seriously powerful. If a Maserati is a thinking mans Ferrari then the R8 is the thinking mans Gallardo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Is it just me or does the R8 scream 'new money'?

How can you unironically use that phrase without dying a little inside?

Well that R8 is Audi`s first proper supercar (not really a supercar but sports car isnt enough) where as Premiership Footballers have been buying Ferraris for years!
    And as soon as it was announced every major premiership footballer ordered one. Same story with the Bentley GT. Ive never seen Stephen Ireland driving a Ferrari but he has an R8. It's kind of pointless to generalise any car brand as a footballers car as most of them have owned a Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Merc, Range Rover etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Extreme Lightweight?

It still has aircon and a built in sat nav:rolleyes:

Dark-Mavis wrote: »
    Extreme Lightweight?

It still has aircon and a built in sat nav:rolleyes:

The article doesn't say extreme lightweight, it says: "Audi R8 GT – new extreme version, with more power and less weight". I think the OP might have forgotten to use a comma in the thread title.

What do you expect from a 4WD Audi anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Did anyone ssee the new E92 m3 GTS version, a more hardcore beamer.

Advertisement