Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed repair

Options
  • 02-05-2010 11:49am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    just spotted my Garden shed is leaking. Its one of those wooden types with felt (I think that's what its called anyway) on the roof.
    I want to fix it before it gets worse, and tips for doing this?
    Where could I get my hands on felt, and would it need to be to stuck on with something or just tacked into place?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

If you go to a decent hardware shop they should give you a small piece of felt and a small tub of bitumen or something similar to stick it on with

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

had the same problem,with leaking felt so bough a few sheets of galv steel nailed them on and still as good as new 6 years now,and i just put them down on top of old felt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pajo65

You can pick up a roll of Felt from any Builders Providers, like Chadwicks, it's not difficult to put on and it's tacked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Buy 8 ft or so of felt an tack it on the underlap. no need to remove old felt if your not pushed... easy job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

That felt is hard stuff to work with solo. Try to get a helper. Its heavy stuff.

The stuff on it aswell gets everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    That felt is hard stuff to work with solo. Try to get a helper. Its heavy stuff.

The stuff on it aswell gets everywhere

The lighter DIY roofing-felt comes in smaller rolls which are lighter and is much easier to handle.

A good tip is to unroll the roll on the ground, cut to length (a bit longer than needed) and roll the off-cut back up again. The off-cut will be really light, easy to handle and you won't have the whole roll unwinding down the roof.

Yeah, the grit comes off really easily so don't go rubbing it or you'll get bald patches on the felt. Don't worry about losing some grit, it provides little weather protection and is really only for appearances. Wear goggles because if you're lifting the felt above your head you risk getting an eye-full.

Advertisement