Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP County Sheriff Seizure final notice

Options
  • 02-05-2010 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    Recently iv got a letter from the dublin county sheriff stating that a seizure is going to happen in the next 7 days from an outstanding debt over revenue for v.a.t estimates...i am just wondering what will happen as i live back in my parents home which they own (not-council etc)...can the sheriff enter my parents property and seize goods belonging to them?? i was living down the country with my woman in a rented palce and was using that address when i ran up the debt but things went sour and ended up goin back to my parents house to live but everything in that house is not mine and am terrified that they will try to sieze my mam and dads property my parents are old and i know it will kill them...this is all over a debt of 3100.00 & 900 interest on vat...the thing is iv filed the returns 2times now and they still keep sending letters stating i havent,not only that i dont have the cash physically but i have some r.c.t. certs in revenue worth 3300e and they still send threats knowing that the money is there & wont just take the damn thing!!!!....it just really bugs me to see that non-nationals who worked during the construction boom was able to charge contractors v.a.t and then feck off back home and get away with it...&some are still doin it while living here...please can anybody give me some information on if the sheriff can enter their property take my parents belongings as this was the address i had to use..my parents taxes are all fully paid up and there names are on the deeds and all the contents are theres but can he sieze them????PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Mute

Little baby running back to Mammy n Daddy to hide.

When little boys have money they think their men but when their skint there boys again!

Stop blaming non nationals for your mess.

Grow up and face up to your problems.

BTW your parents and their goods and property are safe!

Im sure they are very proud of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,326 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might do well to talk to a solicitor or Citizens Information. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

AFAIK the Sheriff can only take your belongings.

Talk to Revenue - preferably in person and explain the situation. Bring copies of relevant documents.

Talk to the Sheriff and explain the situation.

Talk to your parents and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Victor wrote: »
    You might do well to talk to a solicitor or Citizens Information. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

AFAIK the Sheriff can only take your belongings.

Talk to Revenue - preferably in person and explain the situation. Bring copies of relevant documents.

Talk to the Sheriff and explain the situation.

Talk to your parents and explain the situation.
    what age are you
    if you are over 21 it has nothing to do with the parents
    dont think they can take their property because you are the one they are after

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭subrosa

The Sheriff can only seize goods belonging to the debtor (i.e. you) and has no powers to take property belonging to third parties. This link has more information http://www.liquidation.ie/Keeping_the_Sheriff_at_Bay/Keeping_the_Sheriff_at_Bay.734.html As the previous poster said its best to talk to the people concerned and seek legal advice as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

goat2 wrote: »
    what age are you
    Did you read the OP? He lives with his parents. Do you think it would be better if a) His parents find out from their son about his problems or, b) They find out form the sheriff when he arrives round one day and starts asking who own what?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

goat2 wrote: »
    what age are you

Common misconception,

The sheriff can see the property of a person's wife, children or parents if he occupies a house with them, the said wife, children or parents would have a claim against the debtor.

See s. 13 Enforcement of Court Orders Act 1926
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1926/en/act/pub/0018/print.html#sec13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

That's interesting Gabhain7.

In reality I wonder would they bother though. I mean if you take the kids new bike and it gets in the paper with a heart rending story doesn't it cause a bit of a stir.

Also, I am told that Sheriffes don't want to repossess any goods even from debtors as it's hardly worth the bother considering what second hand goods get at auction.

I heard a story about someone who owed the bank for a loan taken out on a new van. After a few years they couldn't make the payments. The Bank didn't want to re-possess the van as it would cost them to collect it, store it and sell it. So they left him keep it.

Strange happenings in todays Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Mute wrote: »

When little boys have money they think their men but when their skint there boys again!

yes it happens in real world , people make bad decisions business go bust , debts occur ,
    now am sure in your little protected world none of that happens , thank god for the public service eh, that's where you and your type run and hide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also, I am told that Sheriffes don't want to repossess any goods even from debtors as it's hardly worth the bother considering what second hand goods get at auction.
    You are largely correct. The sheriff will rarely seize anything from a dwelling house. Unless you happen to have a few priceless paintings on the wall or a Ferrari parked outside the sheriff is not going to be interested. The sheriff is only interested in high value items that he can sell quickly to cover the debt. He is highly unlikely to get €20k of stuff from the average house and then manage to sell it for that amount. But this fact does not put off judgement holders and they will frequently send the sheriff on such pointless endeavours.

The sheriff is only really effective against businesses that have stock on hand that can be sold for reasonable money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nickygt

Thanks mate it really shows that you are a internet tough guy did u not read the what i said you plank i could pay the "ESTIMATES NO PROBLEM" but the thing is i was told the sheriff can take the property and then id have to put in for a restoration order which would be distressfull for my parents so thanks for your smart remarks but next time read the thread first ya ding dong LOL...Hahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I can tell you from previous experience of having worked for Revenue debt management that you need to urgently contact the Revenue officer who sent the Sheriff to you and explain that your returns for VAT are yet to be finalised and put a stay on enforcement until you can meet them to discuss same, they will most likely accommodate you unless you've messed them around before and also make an interim offer to pay some of the debt, (if you can)...the Sheriff will not take your parents things but will walk away with anything belonged to you........they have a job to do and they do it!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Unless he owns anything substantial i.e. a car, machinery etc the sheriff will not be interested.

I do agree the OP is advised to come to some arrangement before the sheriff comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

You are such a wanker, how long before one of your family finds themselves in a similar situation? I've "owned" my house for the past 14+ years but at the moment I'm struggling to meet all my monthly commitments, I've worked 80hrs+ per week for the last two years to cover my outgoings and I've burned tru all my reserves too. Its really down to the wire now and I can just about cope provided nothing pops up. Be careful what you wish for and don't throw stones.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Did you read the OP? He lives with his parents. Do you think it would be better if a) His parents find out from their son about his problems or, b) They find out form the sheriff when he arrives round one day and starts asking who own what?

MrP
    Hi thanks for the information guys&gals My parents know about the situation since the beginning..iv got in touch with the sheriff and they have put a hold on it but iv done what the revenue asked but im afraid that the sheriff will just be a pig and still come out i do live with my gf and kids but its her house not mine anyway i really want to thank all the posts thanks very much for any help you can give...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

nickygt wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the information guys&gals My parents know about the situation since the beginning..iv got in touch with the sheriff and they have put a hold on it but iv done what the revenue asked but im afraid that the sheriff will just be a pig and still come out i do live with my gf and kids but its her house not mine anyway i really want to thank all the posts thanks very much for any help you can give...

Just to note, the next stage, (if the sheriff comes out finds nothing) is a summons for attendance of the debtor which has the potential to result in installment orders...

_JOE_ wrote: »
    Just to note, the next stage, (if the sheriff comes out finds nothing) is a summons for attendance of the debtor which has the potential to result in installment orders...

Thanks joe..i wouldnt mind so much only for the fact that i was using my parents address only as a postal address as i was having problems in my relationship and needed to make sure that i got my letters from the revenue as i was saying to gandhar7 i have apprx 3500e in R.C.T Certs Which is as good as cash so iv sent the returns in but they keep telling me they have not recieved them so i asked can i hand deliver them ..i was told no..id love to work for revenue Such an easy job...sorry actually i couldnt i have a Heart they dont :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,326 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a public Revenue Commissioners Office on Cathedral Street, off O'Connell Street. Go in and talk to them. Bring someone with you if you need to, not everyone can deal with situations like this.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Andrew33 banned for a week.

Please try and keep it civil. I was in two minds as to whether to keep this thread open to begin with.

Advertisement