Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in Canada

Options
  • 02-05-2010 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Has anyone here worked in Canada?

I'm 28, M, newly qualified (at least I will be when my acca membership comes through) and I applied for the canada <35 working holiday visa.

Anyway ACCA isn't really recognised in canada but acca accountants can apply for the cga (Certified General Accountants) designation on completion of a tax and law course thanks to a mutual recognition agreement. I actually googled "acca mra cga faq" to find this info :D

The membership fee is $300. The subscription fee is $800. The tax and law course will cost $210. So that's $1310 or around €1000. In addition to acca's subscription fee of £189. I wonder is it worth it for just one year?

Though my main question is did any one here work as an accountant in canada? if so did you find it a good experience? What is the jobs situation like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

i take it they recognise aca?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

Hi TF,

I have just returned from working in Canada for 3 years, I started out on the U35 visa and was then sponsored by my employer. I am a CPA & registering with CGA was not necessary. Most companies will recognise your qualification without having to move over. Certainly CPA - but that may be due to the American connection.
    I would hold off on paying out that money - as you may not need it.

Best of luck - I had an amazing time over there.

TSF

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cliona2012

Anyone recommend any job vacancy websites for a recently qualified ACA looking for a job in Canada or the US?
    Contract work would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Hi all. Has anyone here worked in Canada?

I'm 28, M, newly qualified (at least I will be when my acca membership comes through) and I applied for the canada <35 working holiday visa.

Anyway ACCA isn't really recognised in canada but acca accountants can apply for the cga (Certified General Accountants) designation on completion of a tax and law course thanks to a mutual recognition agreement. I actually googled "acca mra cga faq" to find this info :D

The membership fee is $300. The subscription fee is $800. The tax and law course will cost $210. So that's $1310 or around €1000. In addition to acca's subscription fee of £189. I wonder is it worth it for just one year?

Though my main question is did any one here work as an accountant in canada? if so did you find it a good experience? What is the jobs situation like?

Not sure about the jobs front but keep an eye out its recognised you just can't sign financial statements. So you can work with your qualification in state bodies I think.
    As far as I know they are trying to get fully recognised in Ontario. So keep an eye out for that

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Cliona2012

Cliona2012 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any job vacancy websites for a recently qualified ACA looking for a job in Canada or the US?
    Contract work would be ideal.

Anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement