Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't make outgoing calls but broadband ok - need help please

Options
  • 01-05-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Mods - if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

We've been unable to make outgoing calls since last Tuesday. We had been away for a few days and came back to this problem. When we try to dial out we get a recorded message saying "There has been an error connecting your call. Please contact your service provider".

Our SP is Vodafone and they initially said that they would get Eircom out to look at the line into the house. We then got a call from an Eircom engineer who fobbed us off with the story that he could come out and look at it but if the problem was the wiring in the house then there would be a call out charge of €100+. He then went into a rant about how if we were eircom customers we wouldn't have to pay anything blah de blah de blah. If this is the case, then why do we pay a line rental every month? Surely this covers any problems with the line - or are we being extremely naive?

Rang Vodafone again to explain and they now reckon that it could be the phone or the wiring in the house and it might be cheaper to get an electrician out to look at it. Logic tells us that it isn't the phone because we can get incoming calls and the electrician we rang up on Wednesday didn't show up :mad:

If anyone can give me any ideas what might be the problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭swoofer

snap, we had the same problem here in clare and more than 4 people were cut off. I am with vodafone and rang them. If they think your not sure of yourself they will try and fob you off as Eircom dont like taking faults from Vodafone.

The reason for the fault here was the guy who was sent to tidy up the local cabinet mixed up the wires(honest). When I lost the voice I also had a very low speed. Its now sorted and eircom called to house to double check, have you any neighbours you can check with to see if they have same problem?

Eircom will do a test the line remotely and if no fault appears they refer back to vodafone. How many phones have you connected? You could try and unplug all then after 10 minutes plug in the main one, if still a problem then check the wiring, is it loose, could someone have tripped etc etc. try all the simple things first then if still no good ring vodafone and sy BB has gone as well.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Thanks for the info GB.

Vodafone tested the line remotely and said it was ok, that's why they got onto Eircom.

It's a mystery how anything could have happened to the wiring inside the house as we went away on Friday last and all was ok but came back on Tuesday to find that we couldn't make outgoing calls.

We have two digital cordless phones plugged in so I'll try unplugging them and leave them out for a while. No harm in trying I suppose. If that doesn't work then I'll be back to Vodafone.

One other thing that's making me wonder is that we can still book films from Sky Box Office via the phone line - surely that's an outgoing call or doesn't that count?

Molly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

In my experience, if the lines were all working fine and dandy for a while the problem is usually either with the devices you are using or on Vodafone's side of things.

For example over here in Queensland my ISP has HORRIBLE DNS problems which means I can't always find the SIP server and need to use an alternative to get my phone to connect.

Anyway the point I am making is, there are a lot of things that can go wrong with VOIP and usually it isn't the line. I have on occasion seen vermin chew through cabling if it's not properly housed.

Just to ask about your setup, I assume you have a phone that plugs into your router? If so there are a few things you can do to eliminate it as a problem within your household.

and what about my event, it was eirocoms fault, the guy mucked up the jumpers!!

on the the sky box office, it works like this, sky give you a credit on your card, say 30 quid, then once month or so it does housekeeping and bills you so the phone may not be used as yet. and if the line is duff to the sky box and light may appear on the front and then you get a letter.

good luck. and hello australia, our rats are too clever they eat all our food not cables

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    our rats are too clever they eat all our food not cables

Nah the ****ers eat cables here too, treacherous little animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Quick update. Got back on to Vodafone again and persevered with them. The girl I spoke to was brilliant and tested the line in all kinds of ways and then finally passed it to a more senior technician for them to try and sort it.

Finally got a call back again, not more than 20 minutes later, to say that the line was working again. The reason? Our number had mysteriously disappeared off the exchange.....WTF :eek:

Anyway, all sorted now and glad to say it was nothing to do with rats eating through the cables :)

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Molly

glad your sorted and maybe it was the same guy who mucked up my line!!!

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Mods - if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it.

We've been unable to make outgoing calls since last Tuesday. We had been away for a few days and came back to this problem. When we try to dial out we get a recorded message saying "There has been an error connecting your call. Please contact your service provider".

Our SP is Vodafone and they initially said that they would get Eircom out to look at the line into the house. We then got a call from an Eircom engineer who fobbed us off with the story that he could come out and look at it but if the problem was the wiring in the house then there would be a call out charge of €100+. He then went into a rant about how if we were eircom customers we wouldn't have to pay anything blah de blah de blah. If this is the case, then why do we pay a line rental every month? Surely this covers any problems with the line - or are we being extremely naive?

Rang Vodafone again to explain and they now reckon that it could be the phone or the wiring in the house and it might be cheaper to get an electrician out to look at it. Logic tells us that it isn't the phone because we can get incoming calls and the electrician we rang up on Wednesday didn't show up :mad:

If anyone can give me any ideas what might be the problem, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

I had the same problem as above last week then it fixed itself and now the same problem this evening - line is dead but the broadband is working ok! I'm also with Vodafone. It was working fine all afternoon. Will have to wait until Monday to ring them. Has this happened to anyone apart from those mentioned already?

Advertisement