Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit vs No Limit Holdem?

Options
  • 01-05-2010 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

So ive started playing poker online just recently.888 and Titan poker.com. Have played quite a bit of poker but am new to online. Obv any home games i play in are no limit and i was never really aware of limit but have read a few books and a lot of them seem to be about limit.

I myself want to get a very good grounding in the fundamentals of the game, i play sports and see poker as quite similar in that the more i study/practice the better i will be (within reason). To that end i think that limit is the game for me for the meantime but i would like to see this turn into a small money maker for me.As limit games are much looser i guess the question is why is no limit the preferred choice for people and should i forget about limit as a source of income?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

No limit is simply just more popular. More action and the possiblity of bigger winrates. Its "sexy" too.

Limit games have dried up an awful lot in the past 2-5 years as well. Games have gotten much tougher as limit hold'em is much more easily solvable than no limit, and AFAIK, is easily tractable mathematically, and as the fish pool dries up and moves to the sexy game, your just left with regs at the mid to high levels.

That being said, limit is a very fun game, and is a very good way to learn the fundamentals of the game. TBH, I wish I learned the game playing limit. I think it would have given me a much better grounding.

By all means learn limit. Just don't expect to stay in limit and make good money unless you learn the other limit games pretty well too (ie HORSE, 8-game.)

Advertisement